• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors can make a difference - red nose day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i was in a disaster zone, i would recruit locally, for a million reasons.

how is your dream of a lands end to john o groats bike ride coming on ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      What exactly would you do when you got there? Surely some skills are needed at least?

Brutal but true.

Comment

Oh good grief.

The last thing a wartorn country, orphans or starving
        people is you turning up with a scaletrix track, packet of toilet roll and a pot noodle and shouting lookatmelookatme I'm here to help.

Best thing you can do is stick your hand in your pocket, get your credit card out and pledge a couple of hundred quid.

Quick now. Take That are waiting.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Got it in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            What exactly would you do when you got there? Surely some skills are needed at least?
            Changing the beds at an Orphanage for the Weak-Bladdered?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

EO Please F/O seriously.

The LE-JOG thing is in progress. I am registered to do two London - Brightons this year. The big ride will follow on I'm sure. One step at a time.

I tell you what, if no one on here responds, I will do it myself. Seriously.

Thanks for you valued contribution.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                I'm so glad you posted first.

Yes skills are needed.

Digging.
                Shifting.
                Bricklaying.
                Sparkying.
                Chippying.
                Plumbing.

I can dig. I can shift. I can lay a brick. I can teach you how to lay a brick.
                I am qualified to 16th edition how to do sparks. I am a rubbish chippy. I cannot plumb.

Just muck in and teach each other, and collaborate. Get off the plane and just crack on.
                I know where you're coming from (probably (like me) from the bottom of a bottle, but hey-ho...)

Locals can dig and shift. That's not what's needed.

I was very moved by the thing a couple of weeks ago, where Lenny bought a house for about £1200 for an orphaned family looked after by a sixteen year old kid. If I was there I'd have done the same. No doubt.

It's easy to feel empathy for the plight of a highlighted family and want to help them. What's harder to get your head around is the countless nameless families. And other deserving causes. That's why I think the whole 'adopt a child' thing works well - your cash helps a named individual - you can see the huge difference it makes. Unfortunately, most of those charities are run by Christian organisations, and, whilst I've nothing against Christianity, I don't think getting the help should come with a bible.

Dunno what the solution is. I guess the soft hearted amongst us have to believe that any money we donate will go to wherever it's most needed.

But flying you or me out there isn't what's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  I'm so glad you posted first.

Yes skills are needed.

Digging.
                  Shifting.
                  Bricklaying.
                  Sparkying.
                  Chippying.
                  Plumbing.

I can dig. I can shift. I can lay a brick. I can teach you how to lay a brick.
                  I am qualified to 16th edition how to do sparks. I am a rubbish chippy. I cannot plumb.

Just muck in and teach each other, and collaborate. Get off the plane and just crack on.
                  Can you hold a fireman's hose?

Comment

I went to a missionary school, the 'black baby collection' robbed me of my tuck shop money for 7 years. I always wanted to get a note thanking me for my daily kit kat but it never came. I never got any fillings when I was young but I always had an image of some fat African brat feasting upon chocolate until his teeth fell out.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                      I know where you're coming from (probably (like me) from the bottom of a bottle, but hey-ho...)

Locals can dig and shift. That's not what's needed.

I was very moved by the thing a couple of weeks ago, where Lenny bought a house for about £1200 for an orphaned family looked after by a sixteen year old kid. If I was there I'd have done the same. No doubt.

It's easy to feel empathy for the plight of a highlighted family and want to help them. What's harder to get your head around is the countless nameless families. And other deserving causes. That's why I think the whole 'adopt a child' thing works well - your cash helps a named individual - you can see the huge difference it makes. Unfortunately, most of those charities are run by Christian organisations, and, whilst I've nothing against Christianity, I don't think getting the help should come with a bible.

Dunno what the solution is. I guess the soft hearted amongst us have to believe that any money we donate will go to wherever it's most needed.

But flying you or me out there isn't what's needed.
                      Thanks for your post.

I know folks who have done the same and it works. You build relationships too.

I had hoped to garner support on here. Wrong forum I guess.
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X