• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Policing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman
    It also means the poor schmuck that puts Golliwogs in his shop window.
    And that is where the whole thing gets absurd. In displaying those he broke no law (otherwise he would have been charged). Yet goods were seized. No doubt at the same time some crime was committed.

Low level crime is allowed and our police are becoming some form of Political Correctness enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
      And that is where the whole thing gets absurd. In displaying those he broke no law (otherwise he would have been charged). Yet goods were seized. No doubt at the same time some crime was committed.

Low level crime is allowed and our police are becoming some form of Political Correctness enforcement.
      It seems to me that many of the "PC" crimes that end up looking silly, do so because the essence of the charge is not YOU DID THIS but THEY MIGHT BE OFFENDED/ALARMED/UPSET by what you do. Perhaps that should be abolished.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
        our police are becoming some form of Political Correctness enforcement.
        Exactly so, under the diligent command of the "PC PC" Sir Ian Blair.

Almost every arm of the state is now heavily politicised from the top down.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I've heard today the the PC police are now wanting to change the words of the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep and replace 'Black' with....

Rainbow!!

I kid you not.
          Founder Member of the 'I love Janey' Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Sputnik
            I've heard today the the PC police are now wanting to change the words of the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep and replace 'Black' with....

Rainbow!!

I kid you not.
            Yes. Was on the Today prog this morning.

Aparently some right-thinking PC idiot assumed the rhyme was to do with slavery - rather than the wool-tax (a middle-ages tax on all wool except that from black sheep).

Sheesh!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
              Yes. Was on the Today prog this morning.

Aparently some right-thinking PC idiot assumed the rhyme was to do with slavery - rather than the wool-tax (a middle-ages tax on all wool except that from black sheep).

Sheesh!
              I note in passing that the rhyme is singing the praises of the black sheep. It produces "three bags full":
              "one for the master" i.e. a contribution to society
              "one for the dame" i.e. provision for the family
              "and one for the little boy who lives down the lane" i.e. a charitable contribution for the less-well off.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                I note in passing that the rhyme is singing the praises of the black sheep. It produces "three bags full":
                "one for the master" i.e. a contribution to society
                "one for the dame" i.e. provision for the family
                "and one for the little boy who lives down the lane" i.e. a charitable contribution for the less-well off.
                good point well presented. It would be too much to hope the the numpties would actually stop and think about it..........
                'Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep have you any organic byproduct collected by volunteers for equal distribution' doesn't have the same ring to it.

They'll ban Humpty Dumpty next for littering the pavement.....
                Founder Member of the 'I love Janey' Fan Club

Comment

'Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep have you any organic byproduct collected by volunteers for equal distribution' doesn't have the same ring to it.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

They'll ban Humpty Dumpty next for littering the pavement.....

Modern Nursery Rhymes (as approved by HMG DoE)

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Then a copper came along ang gave him an on the spot fine and an ASBO for offensive wall-sitting.

Little Jack Horner sat in the corner eating a Christmas pie; He put in his thumb, And pulled out a plum and was promptly arrested under the sex offences act for displaying his 'plum' in front of other minors.

Little Miss Muffet, sat on a tuffet, Eating her curds and whey - and was taken into care by her local authority owing to the fact that her inappropriate diet did not contain five fruits or vegetables a day.

Ring a ring o' roses,
                    A pocket full of posies,
                    A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
                    Bird flu all round!
                    Last edited by bogeyman; 7 March 2006, 16:58.

Comment

It would be too much to hope the the numpties would actually stop and think about it
                      but surely in the politically correct world one is absolved from any form of thinking. One is also required not to use one's faculties to actually find out about something before uttering some banality.

Comment

Working...
                      X