• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Financial markets and human tragedy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    With regards to the markets serving the people, come on, you're not that naive, Shirley?
    Exactamundo. Of course, in a democracy, the public benefit should be the highest law. So either, the efficiency of the free market means that overall we're better off with it, or we're seriously screwed.

Comment

As a speculator I'm with you on this one. I draw the line at human tragedy. If an out of control greedy financial institution is going down the crapper I'll short it all the way down, but when people are dying etc due to natural disasters or otherwise I won't have any part in it.

However - I will say that the japanese have been trying to weaken their currency (to bolster their export industry) for ages and a weak Yen is good for their economy. Shorting their stocks or indexes based on a situation like this is disgusting.

I think exchanges around the world should put a ban on short selling Japanese companies while this is happening similarly to how they did in 2008. Selling your shares is one thing but this unforgiveable.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Indeed, but there's also no need to deliberately seek profit from this kind of suffering.

Would love to do something, but can't see any other way than to make an extra red cross donation.

I don't know the answers, but that doesn't mean I can't ask the questions.
        I dunno.
        my mum died last year and that bastid undertaker made a profit out of us. and the headstone maker.
        and the pub.
        Plus their prices have gone up by about 4 times inflation for the last few years.
        But they wernt actually revelling in our misery mich - just supplying a need, seeing a niche, exploiting an opportunity.

if you are still angry , try old EO's anger management technique. Get a can of beer and squeeze it so hard the ring pops off and the ale shoots into your mouth like spinache from the old popeye cartoon

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You should have done it anyway.

Then explained that you haven't heard from close friends in Japan.

Unfortunately sometimes people need a reality check on what really matters.

There is no point having loads of money if you are dead.
          I have hopes that I will leave enough to help my family when I am gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Until you saw the photographs you were exploiting the disaster for your own amusement re: the Songs for Japan thread.

What's the difference?

With regards to the markets serving the people, come on, you're not that naive, Shirley?
            Humour is a normal way for people to deal with tragedy; it puts all sorts of things into perspective.

Actually trying to profit from this is another thing altogether.

As for being naive, no, but to some extent sensitive, and having seen the financial debacle of the last few years from within, I rather wonder whether the system we have now is right. I just don't know of an alternative that's better, but that doesn't mean the discussion shouldn't be held.

Anyway, don't call me Shirley. Yer big Mary.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Humour is a normal way for people to deal with tragedy; it puts all sorts of things into perspective.

As for being naive, no, but to some extent sensitive, and having seen the financial debacle of the last few years from within, I rather wonder whether the system we have now is right. I just don't know of an alternative that's better, but that doesn't mean the discussion shouldn't be held.

Mich, where do you think the expression "Every cloud has a silver lining" originates?

However distasteful some people will profit from others misfortune.
              Last edited by Churchill; 15 March 2011, 16:47.

Comment

Laughing at someone's misfortune is OK, but profiting from it is not?

Ok. :
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Ok. :
                  yes
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    They are behaving totally logically within our capitalist free market system. If they didn't make the money, then someone else would. The alternative is an alternative system, not for individuals to behave differently. Oh, and punch them - it's the system making you do it and if you didn't, someone else would.
                    Yes, but the guy shouldn't be openly bragging about it.

That's the offensive bit here.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Ok. :
                      Depends on whether you are laughing at them or with them.

I've had close friends who have had serious accidents and illnesses and one of things that made them feel "normal" was people taking the piss out of them as they had that sense of humour.

The Japanese adults I know have a strange sense of humour as well, however I wouldn't dare mention the thread to any Japanese children I've met.

Oh and there is nothing anybody here can do about the nuclear power plant.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X