• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom. FTSE down 3% and dropping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I heard some BBC reporter looking at the devastation and talking about Global Warming FFS. Brainwashed morons.
    I heard some tool yesterday (I forget where) snorking on about how the Earth's crust had been destabilised because we keep pulling all of the oil out from underneath it.

You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
      I heard some tool yesterday (I forget where) snorking on about how the Earth's crust had been destabilised because we keep pulling all of the oil out from underneath it.

Makes sense. Earthquakes and that. Bits that used to glide smoothly over each other now go crunch.

Comment

Gutted, after always leaving my ISA and SIPP investments till the last minute, I got in a bit early this year and used the allowances up. Itching to get buying, probably HSBC Japan tracker, can stretch SIPP to another couple of k but that will be it.
        You can buy virtually any fund/share/index at the moment and should be laughing in 12 months time.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Bit annoying. I took out an investment fund last year for £60k which will pay out 8.5% if the FTSE is higher on the 30th March then when I took it out last year. If it goes below 5450 it won't pay out and my money is locked for another 12 months.
          You got it wrong - it was not an investment, but a gamble - you've lost it and gambling fund managers won, you bet they'll pay themselves nice fat bonus. Sucker!

Comment

I think you will be fine unless something else kicks in. Fundamentals haven't changed in 3 days, market is reacting to the news and uncertainty but will stabilise in a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Stock recommendation for the day...

Range Resources - RRL
              Excite Energy - XEL
              Did anyone take a punt on these?

RRL +4.23%
              XEL +3.3%

And rising
              Last edited by Churchill; 16 March 2011, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Did anyone take a punt on these?

RRL +4.23%
                XEL +3.3%

And rising
                Bandwagon.

Renewable energy and japanense construction companies where the only two sectors expected to go up yesterday.

It does beg a question around renewables.

I was in a shopping centre at the w/e and saw a bloke trying to get people to sign for solar panels. As it happens I'm interested, but only if I can work out the return.

Fella can't even answer the question about how much it costs. Really annoyed me. 'Give me an example of cost/return for an 'average house'.

'All houses are different','We must do a survey','You could be a show house and get a discount','The government pays 4.3p per xxxx?

I think there is a great opportunity in a renewables business. But if they cannot even give you an example of ROI then it's a waste.

I walked off.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Bandwagon.

Renewable energy and japanense construction companies where the only two sectors expected to go up yesterday.

It does beg a question around renewables.

I was in a shopping centre at the w/e and saw a bloke trying to get people to sign for solar panels. As it happens I'm interested, but only if I can work out the return.

Fella can't even answer the question about how much it costs. Really annoyed me. 'Give me an example of cost/return for an 'average house'.

'All houses are different','We must do a survey','You could be a show house and get a discount','The government pays 4.3p per xxxx?

I think there is a great opportunity in a renewables business. But if they cannot even give you an example of ROI then it's a waste.

I walked off.
                  If only there were a better research tool than a guy in a shopping centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    If only there were a better research tool than a guy in a shopping centre.
                    Sheesh. Missed the point again haven't you.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Will solar panels pay for themselves? - MoneyWeek

To make it worthwhile, I believe the survey checks the following.

You have at least 10m2 of available roof space.
                      Your roof faces almost exactly due south.
                      The roof is angled ideally at 45 deg.
                      There are NO trees shading the roof at all.

Unless you can tick all those boxes, the payback time stretches to about infinity.

Comment

Working...
                      X