• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plasma or LCD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    The best video quality is provided by quality plasmas. Go check out AVforums if you don't want to take my word for it. Given that plasmas are generally cheaper than LCDs, for a given price you will definitely get better picture quality from a plasma than an LCD. Obviously you should do your research and get the best one. (Best plasma > best LCD is true, any plasma > any LCD is not what I'm saying.)

Having said that, if you're not an AV buff who wants to have the best, then modern LCDs are very good. If you actually need an LCD (for games, computing, etc.) then a reasonably good one will be 90% as good as a good plasma, for video.
    Concur.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      There is a big difference when you need/want to get 100'' screen and LCDs are simply not (normally at sane price) made for that sort of size.

It must be limitations in how they are manufactured but I've wondered for some time now why they can't give us cheap bezel-less panels we can clip together to make a screen as big as we want.

They do it for professional displays, though maybe the join is too obvious when within normal viewing distances in the home where a 100" display would be just the ticket.

Seems the need to have a bezel is an insurmountable problem at consumer price levels. Maybe they're expecting newer tech to displace LCD/Plasma soon so not worth solving the problem.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        I've wondered for some time now why they can't give us cheap bezel-less panels we can clip together to make a screen as big as we want.
        They do. Although it depends somewhat on your definition of cheap, and they aren't completely bezel free, although they do get quite thin.

46" LCD Display (60002632) - dabs.com

46" Video Wall Display (LH46MRTLBC/EN) - dabs.com
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          They do. Although it depends somewhat on your definition of cheap, and they aren't completely bezel free, although they do get quite thin.

Yeah, not my definition of cheap, even in smug 'just raised a massive invoice' contractor mode.

Maybe if they made the bezel transparent instead of black they'd be getting close FFS.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
          X