• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how do your family/friends feel about you being a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a consultant.

End of.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      What is your career plan?
      How are you going to climb the next rung of the contracting ladder?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
      How are you going to Bob prof your skill set?

These questions are not just for permies, if you don't think about them now in a few years time you will be on the bench.
      wss

Comment

Can't quite hear you over the sound of all that cash rolling in. Sorry.

HTH

Suity

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

What is your career plan?
          How are you going to climb the next rung of the contracting ladder?
          Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
          How are you going to Bob prof your skill set?

These questions are not just for permies, if you don't think about them now in a few years time you will be on the bench.
          Thats great advice and maybe they have got plans/goals but thats not what they were really asking and going slightly off topic. They wanted to know peoples experiences with any views of their decision to go contracting from the point of view of family etc.

Like someone else said as long as your happy and know your ok then just try and forget the views of other people most of the time they say it from a more caring perspective and don't understand people can look after themselves and make the right decisions for their own situation and needs.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
            Thats great advice and maybe they have got plans/goals but thats not what they were really asking and going slightly off topic. They wanted to know peoples experiences with any views of their decision to go contracting from the point of view of family etc.
            I come from a family of contractors and self-employed people so that really isn't an issue.

In regards to friends - quite a few of them run their own businesses or have close relations who are or have been contractors/freelancers.

I do actually find it funny, mainly because people don't know how experienced I am ( I look younger than my age apparently ), when other contractors start telling me things I already know from family and family.

The different ways we work aren't discussed with those who are permie or have a pemie mindset so
            I suggest if you have any teenagers in your family make them aware of the way you work indicating the rewards and pitfuls.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              There's a reason why you're poor.
              Its because you're thick.
              Regarding the OP's question, not sure why you even looked in. You don't have any friends, and your family long since disowned you.

Stick to threads where you contributions might be valued...........if one should ever happen.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Can't quite hear you over the sound of all that cash rolling in. Sorry.

HTH

Suity

Yes - good post.

Bing!

Comment

I'm the opposite actually, a number of my friends are desperate to know how much I earn as an "IT Contractor".

I politely decline all questions with waffle about how downtime, no pension, sick days, holidays etc evens it all out.

Funnily enough, I didn't tell my mum and dad for over 2 years after starting contracting.

You might laugh, but they went mental at me when I left my first permy job (large, well known, establised US consultancy) for a small software house (~20 people).

They were annoyed I hadn't told them, but they've never voiced any concern over it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    I'm the opposite actually, a number of my friends are desperate to know how much I earn as an "IT Contractor".

I politely decline all questions with waffle about how downtime, no pension, sick days, holidays etc evens it all out.

Funnily enough, I didn't tell my mum and dad for over 2 years after starting contracting.

You might laugh, but they went mental at me when I left my first permy job (large, well known, establised US consultancy) for a small software house (~20 people).

They were annoyed I hadn't told them, but they've never voiced any concern over it.

WHS. Usually have the other problem, people think you're minted!!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      I'm a c**t.

End of.
                      Aint that the truth.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X