• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vindictive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot depends upon why its a bad idea.

Is it costly
    dangerous
    misleading
    not futureproof
    risky

or what ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Dammit, The came on the call and agreed with me.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Forget email.

Get him to sign off a document with at least another senior signatory to your own.
        WMFS. Stick it on the risk log and escalate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          WMFS. Stick it on the risk log and escalate it.
          without going into details there is no risk log and little documentation and there is a valid reason behind it (apart from us all being incompetents)

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you and have done that already
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            without going into details there is no risk log and little documentation and there is a valid reason behind it (apart from us all being incompetents)

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you and have done that already
            Well in that case, may I suggest you pop down to Boots and buy yourself some lube. Whereas it won't stop the shafting you're going to get it may make it a little less painful.

hth

MF
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Well in that case, may I suggest you pop down to Boots and buy yourself some lube. Whereas it won't stop the shafting you're going to get it may make it a little less painful.

hth

MF
              I just think of the invoices and it keeps my mind off the pain
              Last edited by Spacecadet; 1 March 2011, 13:35.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Last edited by KentPhilip; 1 March 2011, 19:09.

Comment

You want an example of vindictive ?

I heard this the other day.

Back in the late 80's there was a band in the USA who were in a niche musical market (electro metal) and they had been accepted by a record label on the strength of their demos.

However, they were struggling to get a fan base, as they were unknowns, and it takes a lot of time and hard work to do that when you are starting out.

The record company boss wanted them to do a 2 singles in their first year with an album release to follow shortly afterwards.

The band put a counter proposal to him.

Release a mini-EP, which could be recorded and produced within a month or two, and ask Trent Reznor from NiN (Nine Inch Nails) to guest appear on the mini-EP, because loyal fans would check it out regardless of whether they knew this new band.

The record boss thought it a bad idea, and said that he wanted them to follow his original plan.

After much pleading and begging however, he caved in and greenlighted their idea.

It was a complete success and it launched the band quicker than normal in to the charts and got a lot of publicity. More importantly, it shifted box loads, and when all the receipts were in, it was discovered that the Mini-EP idea had earned far more money that would have normally be made by a 1st release album by an unknown band.

Several months down the line, the record boss called the band in to congratulate them.

He thanked them for making him a lot of money, more than he imagined a 1st time band could make, and praised their idea.

He then sacked them on the spot.

He explained that regardless of how much more successful their idea was, the fact remained that they had argued against his initial idea and not done what they were told.

He then explained that artistically, they were not allowed to work together as a unit for any other company for 2 years.

They folded and left the industry and got 9-5 jobs.

(For those of you who know that I was in a band and involved in music company shenannigans in the 80's, I can say that this wasn't our band involved in this affair. Ours was a bit less dramatic than that!)

I guess the moral is,

Regardless of how good or appropriate your idea is, even if instinctively you know it is 100% the right thing to do, if the person above pulling the strings doesn't like it, and wants you to do something else, even if it will fail, just eat humble pie and do it. (and make sure you CYA along the way).
                  Last edited by Board Game Geek; 1 March 2011, 17:34.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    You want an example of vindictive ?

I heard this the other day.
                    Unless you can back it up with a band name and/or news references that just sounds like an urban myth told to scare little people into compliance
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Unless you can back it up with a band name and/or news references that just sounds like an urban myth told to scare little people into compliance
                      I'll ask my source later this week to see if she has any more information if you absolutely have to have it.

TBH, from my time in the industry, it wouldn't surprise me.
                      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X