• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who isn't posting on here today?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What happens when the clicky thing goes off-line and you lose track of your clicks?
    Multiple clicky things. Need more than 2 though, otherwise you end up with a duality drive...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I dunno, it's all drag 'n' drop, 'innit?
      You mean use something the O/S provide like timeinMillisecondsSince1970? That would still be date/time dependent though and go screwy when the clocks change? A pure clicky thing that didn't reference data/time would be handy, though if it were independent of data and time conversion to a date/time might be impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Multiple clicky things. Need more than 2 though, otherwise you end up with a duality drive...
        A man with two watches never knows the right time.

Comment

A man with two watches never knows the right time.
          No, but he has got the makings of an excellent duality drive. Just ask threaded.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Makes sense, but where do you get the "clicks since a fixed epoch" from?
            man time(2)

well until 2037 if you use a 32-bit counter.

You'd be amazed how many permie bozo database "designers" store datetime values in local time, instead of Zulu time or epoch time a-la Dim Prawn, because "we don't have to worry about different time zones".
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              man time(2)

well until 2037 if you use a 32-bit counter.

You'd be amazed how many permie bozo database "designers" store datetime values in local time, instead of Zulu time or epoch time a-la Dim Prawn, because "we don't have to worry about different time zones".
              Ah, no summer time savings to worry about there then, it presumably does the conversion to local time as necessary. That algorithm is going to need updating if we convert to GMT+1 though, or whatever the government proposal is.

Though on reflection, a transaction count would probably serve adequately as a clicky thing in most cases.

Comment

Working...
              X