• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking about the career so far

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    5 years permie and 8 years as a contractor. I went from a permie software development manager on Friday to a contractor XML editor on the Monday. I used to love my job but now I am just an invoice jockey, chuck me a change request and I'll hack it into your hacked code.
    Mmm well this explains the heavy drinking and vitriolic epic fail posts. Why not go back to being a butcher? (Take a refresher course on black puddings at night school and you're back in)
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      WFBS.

And now I'm stuck in eyer ejumakashen until I drop.

Ho hum.
      What do you actually do Zeity?
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

4yrs perm - 10yrs contract - 3 yrs perm (wheels fell off had to regroup - v.grim) now 5 years contract.
        Had some odd jobs I really shouldn't have got but so good at interviews I can talk my way in most places given a chance.
        Really bored though and going for a 4th interview for a perm job that pays about my average contract rate but might actually be interesting (this would mean a LOT at the moment). Its a big IF, but if I get it I will do a couple of years and reassess, it is likely to open other doors back in to contracting.
        Will be hard to give up 'the game' though !

Comment

Many years permie,last one i was on 23K me and Mrs monkey and 2 little monkeys just about surviving paying the bills, met a fella on the last permie who was contracting doing the same job as me and making twice the money so i walked no notice nothing, 6 years later no office politics i go in do my job and go home no hassle, half the mortgage, house extended, nice car on the drive bike in the garage holidays abroad every year and the best bit enough money in the bank to last for 2 years on the bench, it would have to be an exceptional offer or i would want to be learning something i could not learn anywhere else to make me go back permie

Comment

Working...
          X