• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Census day March 27 2011

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I think they should ask this question on census in order to facilitate accurate taxation:

Are you, or have you ever been a Nu Liebor voter?

1) Yes
    2) No

Automatic double taxation for those who say Yes.
    Yes - we need a totalitarian one party state eh comrade?

Comment

There are lots of questions there which to my mind have nothing to do with the collection of statistics necessary for planning or policy making. For example, I don't believe you need to know the first and last names of people living in a house to plan future healthcare requirements, road building and other infrastructure. I'm skeptical about whether ethnic data is necessary, but there could be an argument made for collecting some data for healthcare planning, seeing as different ethnic groups can have specific requirements (e.g. treatment for sickle cell anaemia); this data, however, could be collected as part of the business plan for a healthcare provider.

To make policy, you need to know about demographics, not personal details.

It all looks very suspicious to me.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        The census questions are available from the Office of National Statistics ([url=www.ons.gov.uk/census/2011-census/2011-census-questionnaire.../2011-census-questions---england.pdf[/url])

My sister wasn't born in the UK, so I think she'll go to town on this

Broken link. Try this

Definitely some questions that I feel are intrusive.

Does MCSE count as a professional qualification?

An awful lot of GOTO statements in there as well
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Broken link. Try this

Definitely some questions that I feel are intrusive.

Does MCSE count as a professional qualification?

An awful lot of GOTO statements in there as well
          Oops - have fixed the link in my post.

If you are bored when the census taker comes round you could have a debate about the MCSE. Personally, I'd count it.

Lots of GOTOs and an intentionally blank question (they probably felt asking about contraception was a step too far).
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Bloody hell -what a lot of questions.

How often do they do the census - I don't remember the last one, I don't think.
            Last edited by cailin maith; 22 February 2011, 14:46. Reason: Spelling - oops
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post

an intentionally blank question (they probably felt asking about contraception was a step too far).
              WTF is that about?
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                Bloody hell -what a lot of questions.

How often do they do the census - I don't remember the last one, I don't think.
                Every 10 years.

BTW you should put you have "no religion" or simply not answer the question as it's optional. Otherwise it's used for such idiotic things like keeping the Bishops and other religious leaders in the House of Lords, or claiming the UK is a religious country.

In regards to healthcare planning it's totally useless. Those who don't register with a GP (as seen by my friends' who have had the displeasure of working in places like Croydon) are not the type to complete a census form even if they could read it.

In regards to school planning it's useless. The number of immigrants estimated to come with families in 2004 from Eastern Europe far outstripped number of school places.

In regards to transport planning it's useless. It's been observed that transport use is linked to the economy.

The only use is for researching family trees and keeping some bureaucrats in the EU happy.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  WTF is that about?
                  B*ggered if I know. They did trial the form a couple of years ago, so maybe they took it out as a result of feedback received.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    BTW you should put you have "no religion" or simply not answer the question as it's optional.
                    10 years? Nope still don't remeber the last one Maybe I was away.

But I have got a religion and I do practice
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X