• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What unemployment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
    Wot you been drinking?
    Four tins of Tennetts Super and a bottle of Bucky...

I love Scotland, and I'm English!

Tennetts is sublime but the Bucky is definitely an acquired taste, tastes like wine with soap...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Timber. That's a subjective comment.

You need to back that up. IT is worse tha
      Geography or Social Science is it?
      Yes. Worst than medya studies, creative arts, the lot. I forget who publishes the statistics but I used to see them most years and IT graduates had the worst employment prospects of the lot, year after year. Labour all but destroyed IT in the UK.

Here's a dumbed down (i.e. the journalist has already done the leg work) of my first Google hit. I think I used to see them in Computing magazine.
      The Higher Education Statistics Authority has published employment rates today by each university across the country - and by each subject. It makes gloomy reading for those studying computer science and IT - they have the lowest employment rate for any area of study (see the data below).
      And their source: http://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?opti...702&Itemid=141
      Last edited by TimberWolf; 18 February 2011, 00:01.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        An awful lot of those unemployed are IT graduates - the worst degree subject to study at university as far as employment prospects go, bar none. For about 10 years running.
        I will peruse tomorrow.

At a recent gig there was a graduate there. 1st job. £18k. Not happy.

My mates are on 25k, 30k it's so unfair. As it happens gig was a simple Crystal role. My rate 450 per day
        and they were asking me to real basic stuff. So
        I told the client I'd train the grad. I told the grad to
        go and read a training manual and sit with me for a day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But if I learn it I want 25k.

Did he read it? No. Did he spend time with me? No. Even with a few days to go I offered. Did he take it? Course not.

University grads need to get real. They still have to
        work hard after uni to get it.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I will peruse tomorrow.

At a recent gig there was a graduate there. 1st job. £18k. Not happy.

My mates are on 25k, 30k it's so unfair. As it happens gig was a simple Crystal role. My rate 450 per day
          and they were asking me to real basic stuff. So
          I told the client I'd train the grad. I told the grad to
          go and read a training manual and sit with me for a day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But if I learn it I want 25k.

Did he read it? No. Did he spend time with me? No. Even with a few days to go I offered. Did he take it? Course not.

University grads need to get real. They still have to
          work hard after uni to get it.
          Perhaps he knows his days are numbered until Bob either takes his job or drives his wages further below those of his university chums and realises it's not a career.

Comment

Rush-hour traffic and crowded trains on my commute suggest more people in work than any time in the past three years.

My back-up measure of pub and restaurant usage supports this.

So is it mainly those in low-paid, non-commuting work who can't get jobs?
            There is a very simple explanation for this:

People are now training it instead of using cars. Due to petrol prices and mileage costs it is now much cheaper. I travel first class from home to clientco every day and it's still cheaper than the diesel i'd have to fill my golf up with. And that's ignoring depreciation/maintenance/etc

This means roads are likely to be quieter but trains will be more busy - rush-hour traffic will always remain bad as whenever there is space somebody will be there to come and fill it since we don't have the 8 line highways they have in the US of A

Comment

Yes. Worst than medya studies, creative arts, the lot. I forget who publishes the statistics but I used to see them most years and IT graduates had the worst employment prospects of the lot, year after year. Labour all but destroyed IT in the UK.

Here's a dumbed down (i.e. the journalist has already done the leg work) of my first Google hit. I think I used to see them in Computing magazine.

And their source: HESA - Higher Education Statistics Agency - PIs 2008/09: Employment of graduates
              IT? What the fook is that?

I reckon that the unemployment rates for the Computer Science or Computer Systems Engineering or similar cohorts at UCL, Kings, Oxbridge or indeed the better redbricks will be pretty low.

On the other hamd if you have a "degree" in say "IT and business" or similar (and these will probably consititute the bulk of "IT" degrees) from Wolverhampton Poly, East London Poly or similar you might as well give up.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

I reckon that the unemployment rates for the Computer Science or Computer Systems Engineering or similar cohorts at UCL, Kings, Oxbridge or indeed the better redbricks will be pretty low.

On the other hamd if you have a "degree" in say "IT and business" or similar (and these will probably consititute the bulk of "IT" degrees) from Wolverhampton Poly, East London Poly or similar you might as well give up.
                I haven't looked at the raw data to drill down to employment prospects per study area per university. But given that Cambridge is 13th in a list sorted by employment prospects per university (click on the table heading given in my link to sort) for all subjects, there's nothing to suggest what you say is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

One place I was at many years ago seemed to have employed their entire graduate intake from people who had done "Multimedia Computing" at University of Northumbria.
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    There is a very simple explanation for this:

People are now training it instead of using cars. Due to petrol prices and mileage costs it is now much cheaper. I travel first class from home to clientco every day and it's still cheaper than the diesel i'd have to fill my golf up with. And that's ignoring depreciation/maintenance/etc

This means roads are likely to be quieter but trains will be more busy - rush-hour traffic will always remain bad as whenever there is space somebody will be there to come and fill it since we don't have the 8 line highways they have in the US of A
                    I did mention in the OP that rush-hour traffic was also up.

This is on a cross-country route between Dunstable and, er, Wycombe I suppose.

Comment

I haven't looked at the raw data to drill down to employment prospects per study area per university. But given that Cambridge is 13th in a list sorted by employment prospects per university (click on the table heading given in my link to sort) for all subjects, there's nothing to suggest what you say is correct.
                      You really are as thick as two infinitely thick planks nailed together aren't you?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X