• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income tax thresholds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst I agree that the aim of being able to earn £10,000 without any tax deduction as this will encourage people to work, the benefit seems to be diluted as National Insurance will still be due on salaries above about £7,000 (can't remember the exact figure) - surely it would be best to align the NIC and Tax threshold and then gradually increase both together to get them up to £10K?

Far easier to say to people that no tax or NI will be taken if you only earn up to £10K.

Better still merge tax and NIC into one tax - that would be bold.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
      That would make "headline" income tax rate look non-competitive when compared to other countries - if Income Tax gets combined with NI for both employee and employer then "standart" income tax rate will be easily close to 50%.

Comment

NI is basically a tax in all but name. It should have been merged years ago.

Tough to do politically - as people will realise that the "basic" rate of tax is really 40%.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          NI is basically a tax in all but name. It should have been merged years ago.

Tough to do politically - as people will realise that the "basic" rate of tax is really 40%.
          Indeed, let's face it the vast majority of permies have no idea that employers NI even exists.

I agree completely that NI and Income Tax should have been merged decades ago, but of course it would be political suicide for any Government to do it. While it would remove plenty of bureaucracy no doubt imported workers would bitch like mad that they have to pay for pensions they couldn't collect.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            imported workers would bitch like mad that they have to pay for pensions they couldn't collect.
            No, they wouldn't. And even if they did that would be the last thing Govt gives a tulip about when it comes to merging those taxes in one.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              No, they wouldn't. And even if they did that would be the last thing Govt gives a tulip about when it comes to merging those taxes in one.
              Well it would even up for having operations on the NHS when they haven't paid NI contributions
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                Just found this on HMRC:

Income Tax allowances 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12
                Personal Allowance (1) £6,475 £6,475 £7,475

Income Tax rates and taxable bands Rate 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12
                Starting rate for savings: 10%* £0-£2,440 £0-£2,440 £0- £2,560
                Basic rate: 20% £0-£37,400 £0-£37,400 £0- £35,000
                Higher rate: 40% Over £37,400 £37,401-£150,000 £35,001-£150,000
                Additional rate: 50% Not applicable Over £150,000 Over £150,000

HM Revenue & Customs: Income Tax allowances

So, in 11/12, the level at which you're taken into 40% territory is actually coming down by £1400 (despite inflation running at about 4%), in effect increasing the tax take on every higher bracket earner by at least £560 per year. (did I get my sums right?). Oh and don't forget the removal of child benefit too.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER
                No you didn't. Since the tax threshold is being increased by such a large amount, higer rate tax payers would have benefited (along with everone else) the threshold move down for hgher rate tax payers is neutral - you don't lose out overall but you yo don't get the same gain as people on minimum wage. I have no problem with that - it's the kind of thing Labour would have done if they really cared about the less well off.

Comment

They won't.

One reason is that cross-EU border workers are allowed to pay their social taxes (which is what NIC is) in one member state and work temporarily in another if sent by their employer.

So if large consultancy organisation decides to send Bill Bloggs to work in Spain for 9 months. Both the employer and employee can elect to pay NI in the UK if it's cheaper even though Bill Bloggs must pay Spanish income tax if he is there over 182 days. Off course Bill Bloggs won't be given a choice where he is paying his NI because his employer will decide what's cheaper and easier for them to administer.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Indeed, let's face it the vast majority of permies have no idea that employers NI even exists.

I agree completely that NI and Income Tax should have been merged decades ago, but of course it would be political suicide for any Government to do it. While it would remove plenty of bureaucracy no doubt imported workers would bitch like mad that they have to pay for pensions they couldn't collect.
                    They bitch already.

I've met a number of South Africans, Kiwis and Ozzies who have p*ssed off that they have to pay NI and receive no benefits from it i.e. not allowed to go on the dole and won't be here to collect their state pension. I point out that the NHS is one of the benefits.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X