• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global temperatures in freefall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    blah blah

I just want my fckng lightbulbs back youse bastids

Stop beating around the bush EO. We know you're old enough, but just leave it man. It's not anyone's fault your prime beach front house is now under 3km of Antarctic ice and you couldn't get your mammoth to the vets because of the poor road maintenance by the 30000bc Tory party!

Just leave it man!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Overall, no warming since the 1970's.
      Okay. Using only small words....

1. Numbers come from Satlite. Satlite shiny thing in sky (look up - blue thing). Satlite go up in 1979, no can tell about 1970's.

2. 1980s warmer than 1970s. 1990s warmer than 1980s. 2000s warmer than 1990s. 2010 equal warmest year. Get it? This might help

3. Numbers go up. Numbers go down. This weather. Next week we look at trends, averages and anomalies.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

1. Numbers come from Satlite. Satlite shiny thing in sky (look up - blue thing). Satlite go up in 1979, no can tell about 1970's.

2. 1980s warmer than 1970s. 1990s warmer than 1980s. 2000s warmer than 1990s. 2010 equal warmest year. Get it? This might help

3. Numbers go up. Numbers go down. This weather. Next week we look at trends, averages and anomalies.
        Thanks. And for a percentage of let's say since the last Ice Age, what is the period you are looking at???

a) 50%
        b)20%
        c) 10%
        d) 0.1%

?????

Comment

And what's causing the rise? In small words please.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            And what's causing the rise? In small words please.
            in order of liklihood, with degree of certainty

1. interglacial recovery - fact
            2. solar activity - v probbly
            91. part of it due to man - an interesting theory, probbly a rounding error
            1009. leprecauns - a supernatural explanation, see pjclarke for details

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I don't normally get involved in these discussions, but that graph is bulltulip. It is the sort of bollocks I see in the workplace all the time to make Directors go "Ooh, pretty, we like, we approve, we sign your business case".

Clue 1: The vertical axis is "anomaly" but there is no explanation of what the "irregularity" being calculated is. So the vertical axis is "someone's interpretation of some deviation from something but we're not saying what". It could be the deviation from what the sea temperature might be if there were more pirates.

Clue 2: Start digging online and we discover all the figures have been adjusted, and more than once. One time for "oops, seasonal things" and another for "an error, we've fixed it so it matches ground based things". So, the raw data has been buggered with in an undocumented way to make it match the desired results.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                I don't normally get involved in these discussions, but that graph is bulltulip. It is the sort of bollocks I see in the workplace all the time to make Directors go "Ooh, pretty, we like, we approve, we sign your business case".

Clue 1: The vertical axis is "anomaly" but there is no explanation of what the "irregularity" being calculated is. So the vertical axis is "someone's interpretation of some deviation from something but we're not saying what". It could be the deviation from what the sea temperature might be if there were more pirates.

Clue 2: Start digging online and we discover all the figures have been adjusted, and more than once. One time for "oops, seasonal things" and another for "an error, we've fixed it so it matches ground based things". So, the raw data has been buggered with in an undocumented way to make it match the desired results.
                Excellent analysis.

Pirates, eh? Well I'll be blowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Excellent analysis.
                  I couldn't be arsed posting all the links I'd followed and explaining the reasoning. But when the line on a graph is THAT good, something stinks.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Pirates, eh? Well I'll be blowed.
                  Well, duh! Haven't you heard? It is well documented.

It's on Wikipedia and everything.

More stuff: More evidence of the pirates – temperature relationship

And it makes just as much sense as the rest of the body of global warming 'data', and the correlation between the data and the derived 'conclusion' is much clearer with the pirates theory.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    in order of liklihood, with degree of certainty

1. interglacial recovery - fact
                    2. solar activity - v probbly
                    91. part of it due to man - an interesting theory, probbly a rounding error
                    1009. leprecauns - a supernatural explanation, see pjclarke for details

And we've got your gold.

To be sure, to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                      I'm so out of touch I hadn't seen that.

Coincidentally, I've noticed a correlation between the fortunes of Manchester United and global warming. It warmed a bit as Man Utd won trophies in the fifties and sixties, cooled among predictions of a new ice age as they were relegated in the seventies, and then warmed again as Ferguson weaved his magic.

My theory is that the warming is due to all the billions of Man Utd fans around the world releasing energy in celebration when Man Utd win games. Obviously none of them live in Manchester itself, which is why it's always cold and wet there.

Irrefutable.
                      Last edited by Doggy Styles; 12 February 2011, 09:04.

Comment

Working...
                      X