• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my shop we have swipe cards which we have for time keeping... and the system automatically deducts 30 minutes for lunch even if you work through it.... it even flags it as a 'transgression' if you dont swipe out while sitting at your desk working over lunch - covering their arse I guess while also saving money.

The project managers work a slow week - arrive at 9, off as soon as the timeclock shows 4pm ... the other permies are often working 40+ with no overtime... many are there 2 hours after their bosses buggered off and they write off flexi time every month.

I feel a bit guilty as myself and several other contractors simply put in time sheets showing the full time we were on site, working, and ignore their rules.. and we are all paid for that. The permies, who are actually a decent bunch, get screwed more than we do.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      What is normally considered to be "hours" worked?

Is the time between your arrival at the building to the desk considered to be part of the working hours or is it legally excluded?

This brings up a lot of legal questions, I believe, in case - let's say - you get stopped at the reception by the security guard or the lift isn't working or when you are in an office which takes about 10 minutes to reach (does it mean 20 minutes have to be given for free?). So if you are at 9 in the office but for reasons outside your will you reach the desk at 9.30 can the employer say that you are late?
      Do you mean to say you have a contract that requires you to be at work from 9, but doesn't define what "being at work" is?

Comment

Working...
      X