• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC Superbowl coverage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno. I looked at this sport a few years ago, to see what all the fuss was about, cf with rugger and soccer, etc.
    I was amazed at the complexity of the strategy and the tactics. There is actually a lot going on and a lot of bluff and counter bluff. I dont watch it much, but dont underestimate it as a game

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

BBC fill the ad-breaks with talking heads, like they did with Masters golf.

American Football became relatively popular in England in the 1980s. A couple of my friends played it in a local league over here. It's faded away a bit since then, but the superbowl still gets a reasonable audience.

Comment

Dull, dull, dull, dull.

It's a sport-lite designed to provide a mild distraction whilst fat yanks can stuff their faces with popcorn and hot dogs.

The BBC should be fined for foisting this sh1te on us. Lazy broadcasting!
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
          Dull, dull, dull, dull.

It's a sport-lite designed to provide a mild distraction whilst fat yanks can stuff their faces with popcorn and hot dogs.

The BBC should be fined for foisting this sh1te on us. Lazy broadcasting!
          You sound like my old mum when she talked about football (soccer).
          Last edited by Doggy Styles; 6 February 2011, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            The nature of the advertising contracts means that it is a continual stop/start series of set pieces with breaks in between so any broadcaster that shows live games regularly is prepared to accommodate that.
            FTFY.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo
              The nature of the advertising contracts means that it is a continual stop/start series of set pieces with breaks in between so any broadcaster that shows live games regularly is prepared to accommodate that.
              Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              FTFY.
              Even before TV was invented? That was very prescient of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Even before TV was invented? That was very prescient of them!
                All ball games have stoppages. But in football (soccer), for example, they don't stick an advert on every time the ball goes out of play.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I dunno. I looked at this sport a few years ago, to see what all the fuss was about, cf with rugger and soccer, etc.
                  I was amazed at the complexity of the strategy and the tactics. There is actually a lot going on and a lot of bluff and counter bluff. I dont watch it much, but dont underestimate it as a game
                  I like the tactics and the way the blocking works. It's a lot more interesting than just looking at where the ball is as per "our" sports. But it's ruined by being so stop-start. 10 seconds of play, stand around talking for 5 minutes, then another 10 seconds of play, etc., etc. If they'd just play for 90 minutes, with a break in the middle, it'd be a much better sport to watch than football or rugby.

I don't know why the BBC are spending tax payers money on it.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                    All ball games have stoppages. But in football (football), for example, they don't stick an advert on every time the ball goes out of play.
                    FTFY
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Well we've had the anthem, Dubya is in his seat and we are nearly ready for the off. Anyone else watching?
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X