• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best mortgages? Where?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever heard of the term "gearing" milan.

At the moment it's probably not worth getting a mortgage becuase there's not a lot around to invest in. Property heading south, shares heading, well nowhere.

If it wasn't for a huge mortgage or two in the past the "traj millions" would not be in existance today.

And no I don't have a mortgage now on any of my properties.

Comment

No pain no gain
      Okay, let's ask the jury for an independent opinion.

I have spotted a nice house I want to buy to live in. I can easily afford to buy it without taking out a mortgage. So, do I:

a) Pay for it with cash and have done with it.
      b) Take out a mortgage and end up paying significantly more than it's listed value over the next 25 years.

Clue: I went for a).

Comment

I have spotted a nice house I want to buy to live in. I can easily afford to buy it without taking out a mortgage.
        You b@stards just keep rubbing it in, don't you

Comment

lucifer,

In the current climate you made the correct choice as the best investment was the (6% or whatever) mortage rate you would have had to pay had you taken a loan.

A+.

Comment

"3 entries found for patrimony"

My mistake, Milan. I should have talked about assets indeed.

Comment

In the current climate you made the correct choice as the best investment was the (6% or whatever) mortage rate you would have had to pay had you taken a loan.
              Traj, it was, indeed, a no brainer.

Franco, at the very least put down a whopping deposit.

Comment

"I have spotted a nice house I want to buy to live in. I can easily afford to buy it without taking out a mortgage. So, do I:

a) Pay for it with cash and have done with it.
                b) Take out a mortgage and end up paying significantly more than it's listed value over the next 25 years.

Clue: I went for a). "

I chose a) and b).

Comment

it's not that I don't agree with mortgages perse,

and I guarantee, in the not too distant future, say next five years I will invest in some property using mortgages, but at the moment there is no need and I don't want to load my self with the worry of the debt

Traj you are absolutely correct about the gearing it is like spread betting instead of holding paper, you get more leverage for the same investment - but also more exposure and more risk

everything in moderation, and within the next five years, considering the capital appreciation in respective markets I would be a fool not to buy something on a mortgage

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                  X