• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who Gets the Best Jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did at any point they ask someone who came from a piss poor background who said "you know, I came from filth but I studied, got my education went on to greater things" prove this myth that there is no social mobilty?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Did at any point they ask someone who came from a piss poor background who said "you know, I came from filth but I studied, got my education went on to greater things" prove this myth that there is no social mobilty?
      Yes, Alan Milburn, and he expressed concern that what he had done was becoming more and more difficult for people from his background.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yes, Alan Milburn, and he expressed concern that what he had done was becoming more and more difficult for people from his background.
        Someone that does not gain capital on his view point?

I just watched the passage where they pretty much said nobody from a poor background will not get into medical school.

The GF went to the school this was filmed in...

But then you regale us with your tales of stealing cars on Bolivars and Boli yet turn out a test manager. Social mobility it seems.

Comment

Which is ironic since Labour closed the grammar schools, probably the biggest enabler of social mobility there was.

The second biggest enabler was free tuition fees for university for the best A-level candidates, another enabler that has been removed, by the Tories this time.

I'm far from being a lefty, quite the opposite, but as a one-nation Tory, I would be for grammar schools and free tuition fees for candidates with very good A-level results.
          That way you work hard but if you do you have an exit route from poverty.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

No. It's a serious look at what barriers, real or percieved, are getting int the way of social mobility. It presents various points of view, and various ways in which it seems that the professions are becoming less and less accessible to people from backgrounds other than middle or upper class. I certainly found it thought provoking.
            Yes, but I found it poorly argued and ultimately not very convincing.

I was very disappointed that the journo stuck to his prejudices, despite disproving his own case by showing the footage of those comprehensive kids getting work experience in top banks.

He frequently used phrases along the lines of the 'dis-advantaged' (non-public school educated) versus the rich (public school educated) kids with all their unfair advantages.

I was amused that he rejected the 'gene pool' argument because he found it repugnant, without considering that it might be true: intelligent middle class folks choose similar as their partners, and hey presto, their offspring are of good intelligence and get better jobs.

And of course the less well off are not in the know about good jobs, not because they can't be bothered to find out, but because no one gives them the help they need.

Summary: worth watching, gives a good understanding of the entrenched views that well-off well-educated people are unfairly advantaged.

Comment

Working...
            X