• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Knee pains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save yourself money before you think about making a physio appt. Unless its clearly, properly fooked (medical term), with any soft tissue injury, initially go for:

Rest (proper rest)
    Ice (on and off, make sure you don't burn your skin though)
    Compression (tubigrip when moving around)
    Elevation (even get yir leg up on a pillow at night)

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Oi! Some of us at least have the honour of being has-beens!
      And those of us that are has-beens would recommend a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Sitting at the desk in my hotel room last night I went to get up and had a slight twinge in my knee, nothing too painful but it was there. I didn't think much of it and walking was fine. At about 1:00am I started to get some severe pain in the knee and couldn't straighten my leg out nor put it in certain positions, couldn't even put any weight on it! All I could do was lie on one side with it bent up. After a couple of hours of dozing it seemed to get better and could slowly begin to straighten it but there was still an ache there. At least I could stand and walk on it which meant I could go to work to continue the ancient contractors adage of 'no sickies.' However it is still a bit painful and standing up has to be done a bit slower than normal. I'm just wondering what it is, the pain (ache) is basically now only at the front bottom of the kneecap and there doesn't seem to be any swelling nor does it hurt to prod it although the leg below the kneecap feels like the muscles are a bit stiff which is probably due to having it bent up all night. Hopefully nothing serious but getting to a doctor is a bit difficult.

To cap it all, it snowed overnight and I've got rather slippery shoes on making walking difficult...
        It's inflammation of the hamstring tendons.

Rest, hot bath. The heat will relax them.

W@nking may work, it won't get rid of the pain but it may take your mind off of it.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          And those of us that are has-beens would recommend a professional.
          Yes, my first thought was that Dirty Dagmar from Darmstadt could at least take his mind off it for 50 euros. But WHS.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Go to a doctor and stop listening to the armchair quacks.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
              Maybe you should take up running to strenghten your legs.

like this

German runner Thomas Dold has won the annual race up the Empire State Building, New York City's tallest skyscraper, for the sixth consecutive year.

A 26-year-old economics student from Stuttgart, Dold scampered up the 1,576 steps from the lobby to the observation deck on the 86th floor of the building in 10 minutes and 10 seconds (660 seconds), organizers said Tuesday.

The speedy German beat last year’s time up the 86 flights of stairs by six seconds.
              Ach meine lieben. So many zixen.

Comment

I was having problems with one of my knees a couple of years ago. Scans weren't showing any obvious problems so had an arthroscopy. Woke up from the general anisthetic to find a big knee/leg brace on me - was told I couldn't bend my knee for 6 weeks. Had to take off 8 weeks in total - all from a injury sustained while watching Match of the Day on the sofa.

Comment

Originally posted by Normie View Post
                  I was having problems with one of my knees a couple of years ago. Scans weren't showing any obvious problems so had an arthroscopy. Woke up from the general anisthetic to find a big knee/leg brace on me - was told I couldn't bend my knee for 6 weeks. Had to take off 8 weeks in total - all from a injury sustained while watching Match of the Day on the sofa.
                  I broke my finger watching the 2003 rugby world cup final.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    ....... the front bottom .....
                    Fnarr! Fnarr! Good use of "Front Bottom" there lad!!
                    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Trying to stray back on topic....

The symptoms sound exactly the same as I had last year.

Mine happened as a result of putting too much stress on my right knee while climbing up a rock on the beach. Result was a torn cartilage and I was unable to straighten my leg.

In simple terms you have a bit of swollen / torn cartilage "jamming" between the two bones as you try to straighten the knee. Now after a few days this can reduce or shift back so that the knee seems 100% fine again. But with me it popped out again whilst bending down about a week later. Each time requires a fee days to recover but its not a fix.

The solution was an arthroscopy to cut off the torn cartilage (they could have tried a repair but would have meant weeks immobile with low success rate). Downside is you lose some cartilage.

This was a keyhole procedure with 2 tiny holes in my knee. done on a Friday, back at work on the Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                      X