• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seventeen hundred or one thousand seven hundred

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Fair comments re the teen numbers being a bit odd. I wonder why that came about?

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    depends on the context and who i'm speaking to.
    Same here although generally speaking seventeen hundred for dates and one thousand seven hundred for almost all other uses would probably be right in my head.
    I should probably qualify the who and when

Meeting with the upper management about the new stock level report:
    "This report shows that you have one thousand and seven hundred widgets in stock"

Meeting with the (physical not data) warehouse manager and his minion:
    "This report shows you have seventeen-hundred widgets in stock"

Different audiences, different language. Upper management wouldn't get the dyslexic pimp joke either.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I learned in French class last year that the French say the whole number, e.g. mille neuf-cent quatre-vingt dix-neuf (one thousand nine-hundred and ninety-nine), but in German I was told to say neunzehnhundertneunundneunzig (nineteen hundred ninety-nine). But that may just be years.

Is this one of those things we've adopted a bit from Germanic Anglo Saxon, and a bit from Norman French and ended up with both? Probably.
      I thought the Kronenberg beer was seize-cent soixante quatre?

(sixteen hundred and sixty four)

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Same, I think it is an Americanism as I never knew my father to use it as a, now retired, accountant.
        I'm sure you could've shoe-horned another comma into that sentence.

Comment

You could also speak of "one point seven kilo wotsits" although this may not be appropriate for many things.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            There's no oneteen and twoteen either
            There's an interesting etymology behind that.

Eleven comes from the old German ainlif meaning "one left", and twelve is twalif, "two left". i.e. You can only count up to ten on your fingers, so take the ten away and you have one left, or two left.

Presumably it got a bit too much to work out after that, so they switched to the teen system. Shame though, as threlve, fourven and filve would have been delicious words.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post

Eleven comes from the old German ainlif meaning "one left", and twelve is twalif, "two left". i.e. You can only count up to ten on your fingers, so take the ten away and you have one left, or two left.

Presumably it got a bit too much to work out after that, so they switched to the teen system. Shame though, as threlve, fourven and filve would have been delicious words.
              8 fingers, 2 thumbs -> 1024 combinations. Those from Naarfark have up to 4096.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post

Interesting. And I imagine for practical reasons and for trade purposes they found 12 more convenient than 10 because it's got 4 factors and is divisible by pesky 3. That is, it was handy to count to twelve before you start with new rules for higher numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Interesting. And I imagine for practical reasons and for trade purposes they found 12 more convenient than 10 because it's got 4 factors and is divisible by pesky 3. That is, it was handy to count to twelve before you start with new rules for higher numbers.
                  Sounds like a bloody good theory to me.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                    Why did we have 2x12 hours in a day, instead of a 24 hour clock in the first place.

Was it because people couldn't count as high as 24
                    The time was based on sun dials. 1 to 12 hours in daylight, mid-day was 6 hours. The other 12 hours were added later.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X