• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Zeno effect

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogey: You make my point for me. Your spot is doing 0 kph whilst the train is doing 200 kph, yet both things are co-incident, which is nonsense. I say the spot never does 0 kph. I say it goes instantly from 5 kph to -200 kph. In the model this gives an infinite acceleration, which is also nonsense.

I say therefore the model is wrong as it does not support this case.

The model works for most things, so it is OK as far as it goes, but one must remember it is a model and nothing to do with reality.

Qualifications: I've discussed that with you previously on here, forgotten?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I was confused long before Quantum Theory came along. If

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

how come I can move then?

Comment

Masher: Absolutely! You see what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Bogey: You make my point for me. Your spot is doing 0 kph whilst the train is doing 200 kph, yet both things are co-incident, which is nonsense. I say the spot never does 0 kph. I say it goes instantly from 5 kph to -200 kph. In the model this gives an infinite acceleration, which is also nonsense.

I say therefore the model is wrong as it does not support this case.

The model works for most things, so it is OK as far as it goes, but one must remember it is a model and nothing to do with reality.

Qualifications: I've discussed that with you previously on here, forgotten?
          AFIAK you've never discussed your 'qualifications' with me old boy. Other than you're a total bulltulipter - which conclusion I arrived at by observation rather than discussion.

Ok, Threaded - let's do some elementary physics: -

1) Train travels at 200Kph in an Eastward direction

2) Bogeyman, after a good night in pub staggers Westwards down the tracks at 5kph (which is pretty good for a stagger).

3) Train and BM collide. Velocity of spot on BM's nose suddenly decreases and then increases in the opposite direction.

If we draw a graph of the velocity of the spot on BM's nose (as observed by someone stationary on the trackside), we would see the +5 to -200 transition over a period of time (in a slewed sinusoidal curve if the speed of both BM and the train were constant).

At the trough of the curve, the spot on BM's nose would be doing 0 kph in respect to the observer.

So how is this wrong?
          Last edited by bogeyman; 24 February 2006, 14:58.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Your graph represents the model, not reality. That is how it is wrong.

Comment

Your graph represents the model, not reality. That is how it is wrong.
              Ok then, can you please explain why it's wrong?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

We've already discussed that. The spot is doing 0 kph whilst being coincident with the train doing 200 kph, which is nonsense.

Comment

We've already discussed that. The spot is doing 0 kph whilst being coincident with the train doing 200 kph, which is nonsense.
                  What the hell do you mean by "coincident"?

I suspect that you're just a wind-up merchant who knows **** all about anything, and loves to engange in essoteric debates on topics you know absolutley nothing about.

Comment

I thought that was your purpose on this board?

Comment

Originally posted by Masher
                      how come I can move then?
                      You can move because of: -

A C C E L E R A T I O N

The state of eductation these days

Comment

Working...
                      X