• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lasik

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    As you get older (i.e. past 40), you get longer sighted.

If you are short sighted, you can do without reading glasses just by taking off your distance glasses.

Magic.
    Yeah, virtually everybody loses close-focus as they get older than 40. If you were short-sighted to begin with, i.e. can't focus on distance, then you still can't. Hence bifocals, sign of age.

You may still be able to read with your distance glasses off (but no longer with them on, because your focus range is now too small), but the monitor may be too far for the naked eye and too near for the distance glasses.

You need to decide what to do about that as you get older.
    - If you wear glasses, you don't have to decide until it happens. Then you can either have several pairs, or bifocals or graduated lenses.
    - If you wear contact lenses, you don't have to decide until it happens. Then you can do "monovision" (1 for near and 1 for far), or toric (which are supposed to let you see at all distances), or wear lenses and sometimes use glasses too.
    - If you're going to get surgery, you should probably decide in advance, what you want to do about that question. Having surgery won't stop age-related presbyopia from happening.
    Last edited by expat; 24 February 2006, 08:38.

Comment

I noticed that I couldn't read something close up the other day - my wife gave me a tin of food to read (obviously a book would have been too normal) and I just couldn't focus up close. I seem to be suffering from the onset of presbyopia.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/presbyopia.htm
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I was about 43 when I started noticing that my arms were too short with my distance glasses on...

Now they're too short with my reading glasses on.

Ho hum.
        Last edited by zeitghost; 9 February 2017, 14:38.

Comment

Working...
        X