• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WW2 atomic bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    The other thing to remember is that conventional bombing of the Japanese mainland killed rather more people per raid that the two nuclear strikes.
    WHS.

For further research you simply must watch the BBC Hiroshima - About an hour long, could upload it somewhere...

YouTube - Hiroshima: Dropping the Bomb
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      How about threatening to bomb them with pictures of naked centrefolds rather than high explosives (if they are Muslims or whatnot)? Bombing them with money of any strong currency would probably be cheaper and more effective than TNT too, but a bit tulip if you want to invade.

As I passed some Japanese tourists in town the other day who were taking pictures, as they often are, I wondered to myself what do they find interesting in Britain and do they ever look at all those photos, as well as how polite and good natured they always seem to be.
      Pig fat bomb?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I read somewhere recently that Nagasaki wasn't the intended target for the second atom bomb, but the pilot had been told to track the bomb visually and it was very cloudy over the original target. So they flew on and found it was nice and clear over Nagasaki.

Also, there were quite a few people who survived both bombs. They survived Hiroshima and were sent by train as refugees to Nagasaki, where they started to feel a lot more cheerful when they opened the curtains and saw that it was a lovely sunny day...

Comment

Originally posted by Bwana View Post
          The people I felt saddest about were those who were severely burned (or otherwise injured) but who were not killed instantly. Their suffering over the minutes, hours, days, weeks must have been unimagineable.
          A very sad film is Black Rain. It describes how even those who were only exposed to the fallout were discriminated against.

It makes you think our capacity to hurt one another is boundless.

On the flip side are the Peace Gardens. Little patches of ground put aside with a tree or memorial or plaque with a message to the effect of "In remembrance of Hiroshima". I keep being surprised by how often I come across these in parks in Britain. I'm also surprised how often it has "Opened by" or "Tree donated by" or "Statue presented by <name>, Japanese Ambassador" or similar.

There are similar quiet reminders of what happened, placed all round the world, to help future generations know there is a price attached to using such devices.

Then there are the community-level initiatives such as 'twinning'. Coventry City, for example, made a point of twinning with cities that had been devastated by war, such as Dresden and Volgograd (Stalingrad). Local communities do student exchanges, set up pen-pal schemes and various other activities to help younger generations understand that people in other countries and other cultures are just people too.

So, yes, we're good at inventing ways to kill and hurt one another. But we're also good at ways of trying to prevent us doing it, too.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            A very sad film is Black Rain. It describes how even those who were only exposed to the fallout were discriminated against.

It makes you think our capacity to hurt one another is boundless.

On the flip side are the Peace Gardens. Little patches of ground put aside with a tree or memorial or plaque with a message to the effect of "In remembrance of Hiroshima". I keep being surprised by how often I come across these in parks in Britain. I'm also surprised how often it has "Opened by" or "Tree donated by" or "Statue presented by <name>, Japanese Ambassador" or similar.

There are similar quiet reminders of what happened, placed all round the world, to help future generations know there is a price attached to using such devices.

Then there are the community-level initiatives such as 'twinning'. Coventry City, for example, made a point of twinning with cities that had been devastated by war, such as Dresden and Volgograd (Stalingrad). Local communities do student exchanges, set up pen-pal schemes and various other activities to help younger generations understand that people in other countries and other cultures are just people too.

So, yes, we're good at inventing ways to kill and hurt one another. But we're also good at ways of trying to prevent us doing it, too.
            Namby-pamby bed-wetting sh!te to appease the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Namby-pamby bed-wetting sh!te to appease the masses.
              Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning? Or haven't you been getting your oats?

You've had the grots all day.

Can't you go and have a wank and cheer up or something?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning? Or haven't you been getting your oats?

You've had the grots all day.

Can't you go and have a wank and cheer up or something?
                I find this whole hand-wringing about Hiroshima and Nagasaki distasteful to say the least.

The Japanese needed their arse kicking. They suddenly realised the path their lack of respect for human life was leading them. They were cruel vicious bastards! **** 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  The Japanese needed their arse kicking. They suddenly realised the path their lack of respect for human life was leading them. They were cruel vicious bastards! **** 'em.
                  Well, yes. There is that.

Fairy nuffski.

But it doesn't stop us bedwetters worrying about being on the receiving end of a nuke and wondering how best to make it not happen. And one way to do that is go on about how nasty it was.

Comment

Fairy nuffski.

But it doesn't stop us bedwetters worrying about being on the receiving end of a nuke and wondering how best to make it not happen. And one way to do that is go on about how nasty it was.
                    It will never happen.

Comment

Fairy nuffski.

Nuke the middle east before they nuke us, it's the only way to be sure
                      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                      X