• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Posh northerners / scottish / irish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I made an observation, not an assumption.

If I were to apply the assumption that is being made about me, then I would be assuming that the person speaking badly is from an uneducated background. I have observed that not to be the case, so I did not assume it.
    Really? You made the assumption that speaking with a broad lancashire accent is working class. It's not. It's how people up north speak, public school educated included.

Some people change their accents (sub-consciously or otherwise), so they can be understood or maybe to fit in (as they get bored of people making assumptions/judgements of their accents and where they could be from).

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
      Really? You made the assumption that speaking with a broad lancashire accent is working class. It's not. It's how people up north speak, public school educated included.
      No I didn't. Thats exactly my point. That logic is being applied in reverse to me, and I find it annoying. I intended to point out exactly what you have stated.

I'm killing this thread here. It's not worth going on with it.

Comment

I'm killing this thread here. It wasn't worth starting it.
        FTFY
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Happy to be advised on this issue.
          I'm killing this thread here. It's not worth going on with it.
          That didn't last long.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
          X