• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Justice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooner he's back on the streets the better... dont think it will be too long before he's the victim of a hit and run frankly...

He steals a car, handles stolen goods, is on parole for wounding, drives without insurance, kills a child, drives off without stopping to even help... then his 'religion' makes him 'pray for the family'...

Another one to have an RPG fired up his jacksy and whatever is left buried in pig fat.
    Last edited by mcquiggd; 22 February 2006, 18:12.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Justice is a dish best served cold.

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
        The guy was not just some innocent motorist who was unfortunate to kill a predestrian, lets examine the facts for a moment.....

He had no license (and therfore no right to drive on the road)
        He had stolen the car (which in its own right should carry a hefty sentence)
        He had no insurance
        He didnt even have the humanity to stop at the scene to check if the little girl was OK

12 weeks is a piss-poor punishment (and therefore deterrent) for other would be car thiefs

The guys should be facing a minimum of 12 months (actual prison time) for what he has done.

Expat - out of interest, do you have any children ?
        Yes, I do. My feelings are that I'd like to see him banged up. But I looked at my own feelings and realised that I was looking at him more and more severely as I read the very facts that you list, and realised that I want to see him banged up because he's a **** and especially because a litte girl died. I'm not ashamed of those feelings. But if I were the judge, I should be ashamed of sentencing the crime that way.

That's with what I know, which isn't enough. How come he killed her? The mere fact of stealing a car and driving without licence or insurance (what insurance covers an unlicensed thief anyway?) is not dangerous to other lives. Presumably the prosecution and the judge decided that what he actually did was careless and not murderous.

You'd like to see a 12-week sentence for careless driving and 12 months for the very same actions with also loss of life?

Then would you like to see £50 and 3 points for doing 40 mph, but £50 and 3 points and 11 months for doing 40 mph with loss of life?

Nothing for doing 30, but 11 months if someone steps out in front of you?

No: charge him with the crime that he actually committed, and give him the punishment that goes with that crime. Both those might well be deservedly more severe, in your opinion and mine, than in real life. But let's not let our instantaneous anger decide justice. Driving wthout a licence does not become a more serious crime because someone is harmed during the driving. Running someone down does not become more serious because you shouldn't have been driving that car at that time.

Or are you more worried about the theft? ("12 weeks is a piss-poor punishment (and therefore deterrent) for other would be car thiefs"). Well, I'm not sure: 12 weeks is ok for stealing a car. Except mine: hanged!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
          Justice is a dish best served cold.
          And, these days, containing a failry high percentage of the remains of a pig.....
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            Yes, I do. My feelings are that I'd like to see him banged up. But I looked at my own feelings and realised that I was looking at him more and more severely as I read the very facts that you list, and realised that I want to see him banged up because he's a **** and especially because a litte girl died. I'm not ashamed of those feelings. But if I were the judge, I should be ashamed of sentencing the crime that way.

That's with what I know, which isn't enough. How come he killed her? The mere fact of stealing a car and driving without licence or insurance (what insurance covers an unlicensed thief anyway?) is not dangerous to other lives. Presumably the prosecution and the judge decided that what he actually did was careless and not murderous.

You'd like to see a 12-week sentence for careless driving and 12 months for the very same actions with also loss of life?

Then would you like to see £50 and 3 points for doing 40 mph, but £50 and 3 points and 11 months for doing 40 mph with loss of life?

No: charge him with the crime that he actually committed, and give him the punishment that goes with that crime. Both those might well be deservedly more severe, in your opinion and mine, than in real life. But let's not let our instantaneous anger decide justice. Driving wthout a licence does not become a more serious crime because someone is harmed during the driving. Running someone down does not become more serious because you shouldn't have been driving that car at that time.

Or are you more worried about the theft? ("12 weeks is a piss-poor punishment (and therefore deterrent) for other would be car thiefs"). Well, I'm not sure: 12 weeks is ok for stealing a car. Except mine: hanged!

Trouble is, you DO have to look at the whole picture... on parole for wounding, steals a car, drives a stolen car and kills a child.... doesnt stop...

You and I would face more harsh punishments if we failed IR35 and couldnt afford to pay the extra tax in time.

Sorry, but manslaughter should have been a charge for someone who was banned from driving, on parole, stole a car, and by doing so, killed someone else then drove off.

Tony Martin served how long for firing into the darkness at people who had repeatedly robbed him....?

Maybe he should have changed his name to "mohammed islam let me off lightly".
            Last edited by mcquiggd; 22 February 2006, 19:07.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

The guy was not just some innocent motorist who was unfortunate to kill a predestrian, lets examine the facts for a moment.....

He had no insurance
              He didnt even have the humanity to stop at the scene to check if the little girl was OK

12 weeks is a piss-poor punishment (and therefore deterrent) for other would be car thiefs

The guys should be facing a minimum of 12 months (actual prison time) for what he has done.

Expat - out of interest, do you have any children ?

Comment

You and I would face more harsh punishments if we failed IR35 and couldnt afford to pay the extra tax in time.
                Yes, but such a crime is essentially victimless and so should be treated much more harshly. We can't have right and wrong creeping into the legal system, that would never do.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Questioning the Holocaust gets 3 years. Killing a child gets no more than a few months.

It is a funny old world. What happened to personal responsibility? Surely we all know that a car is potentially dangerous, and if you have no licence, then you are not fit to be in control of a potentially lethal weapon. What's hard to understand about that? So I would have thought that 3 months in prison would be the minimum for stealing a car and not hurting anyone. Kill someone, and I would have thought that was manslaughter.

Is it really that different from being over the alcohol limit and running someone over? In each case you are not in control of the vehicle.

Fungus

Comment

He had no insurance

12 weeks is a piss-poor punishment (and therefore deterrent) for other would be car thiefs.
                    Indeed, the whole picture should be taken into account.

You can't simply prosecute someone on the basis that each action was entirely independant, e.g. 3 months for careless driving, £100 for no insurance, 2 months for being without a license etc, when the end result is directly related to a single underlying cause...in this case a general disregard for any sort of responsibilty, and a singular intention to get away with breaking the law at every level which has resulted in a young childs death.

Not surprised the family is p*ssed...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                      Indeed, the whole picture should be taken into account.

You can't simply prosecute someone on the basis that each action was entirely independant, e.g. 3 months for careless driving, £100 for no insurance, 2 months for being without a license etc, when the end result is directly related to a single underlying cause...in this case a general disregard for any sort of responsibilty, and a singular intention to get away with breaking the law at every level which has resulted in a young childs death.

Not surprised the family is p*ssed...
                      P*ssed off. English please. P*ssed means drunk. In the UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X