• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance again - which Insurer for your 17 year old on your policy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Tesco as they seem to be very reasonable for insurance for learner drivers, but watch the exclusions on the contract, you may find that you are paying nowt much but aren't getting very much in the way of coverage.
    The excess can be quite steep as well.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Have you thought about buying an old landrover? They used to be cheap(ish) to insure.
      That's what my cousin did for his kids to learn on and use (they were out in the sticks).

I had a pleasant surprise when I got an old Land Rover in the mid 1990s. Various insurance companies wanted me to start without any no claims bonus because it was a second car. In horror at the prices quoted I started looking for classic car type insurance and would have been happy with a limited mileage one. What my broker found was a policy which allowed any driver, unlimited mileage and fully comp to boot, all for about 130 quid p.a.

The moral of that story is to use a broker.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Try Tesco as they seem to be very reasonable for insurance for learner drivers, but watch the exclusions on the contract, you may find that you are paying nowt much but aren't getting very much in the way of coverage.
        The excess can be quite steep as well.
        Tried Tesco, they quoted me £2800

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        The moral of that story is to use a broker.
        I've asked a local broker to look around.

The landrover idea is starting to sound quite attractive, I must admit.

Comment

Forget 'cheap' insurance for anyone under 21. It doesnt exist. Front them and your insurance wont pay. Declare them as the main driver means high premiums.

Insurance for 17 year olds is expensive for a reason. They crash all the ******* time.

If you dont want to pay 2 grand for your kids insurance, just tell them its out of the question until they are 21 (and even then it wont be cheap). Oh and stay away from Clios, Corsas, Fiestas since these are the choice of boy and girl racers hence the high premiums.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

... I believe the fine for driving without insurance is about £200. ...

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Forget 'cheap' insurance for anyone under 21. It doesnt exist. Front them and your insurance wont pay. Declare them as the main driver means high premiums.

Insurance for 17 year olds is expensive for a reason. They crash all the ******* time.

If you dont want to pay 2 grand for your kids insurance, just tell them its out of the question until they are 21 (and even then it wont be cheap). Oh and stay away from Clios, Corsas, Fiestas since these are the choice of boy and girl racers hence the high premiums.
              Fair points. Apparently it's common these days for kids to have driving lessons only, and no practice in their parents' car at the weekend due to this high insurance. £2k buys a lot of extra driving lessons.

Don't youngsters choose Clios, Corsas and Fiestas because they are in very low insurance groups, therefore the only type of car they can afford to insure?

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                check these out Insurance for Learner Drivers | Instant Quote Online from Provisional Marmalade

My Insurance company wanted another £400 for my 17 year old son on a 1.4 ford fiesta, with this plan i insured him for 2 months while he was learning under is own insurance policy so there would have been no hit on my no claims if he had bumped it.

When he passed his test the cheapest quote for a 2000 1.2 Renault Clio was £2500

Also check out this for newly qualified drivers Young Driver Car Insurance - Young Driver Insurance

Its a lease scheme for new drivers to buy nearly new cars and the monthly cost covers the insurance
                Hey SupportMonkey, these are GREAT links!
                They're quoting me £250 for 3 months' insurance on their Provisional scheme

Problem solved

Comment

Working...
                X