• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good start to the new year.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I think it's a good market at the mo. I'm sorted for six months with three different contract offers. Already signed up for two, but probably going to give notice on one of them(I have a 20 day notice period) so I can go back to a client who lives next door to my house.

Agent & client are going to be seriously pissed off if I give notice though.
    Hoping this is a trolling effort. If not there should be TykeMerc along in a minute to give you a rollocking for giving contractors a bad name, what would you think if a builder walked off halfway through a job, yada yada yada.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Hoping this is a trolling effort. If not there should be TykeMerc along in a minute to give you a rollocking for giving contractors a bad name, what would you think if a builder walked off halfway through a job, yada yada yada.
      Nope. Not trolling.

It's all about me. Me! Me! Me! I'm not a bleeding heart liberal when it comes to giving notice.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Nope. Not trolling.

It's all about me. Me! Me! Me! I'm not a bleeding heart liberal when it comes to giving notice.
        Over to the gang

Go gently though

Comment

Nope. Not trolling.

What's wrong with exercising the right to use a notice period if the client has agreed to it being in the contract?
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            What's wrong with exercising the right to use a notice period if the client has agreed to it being in the contract?
            It depends on reasons - if it's greed, then it's very wrong - you don't keep your word. And if it's much worse, like in this case - accepting contract in bad faith expecting to cancel it - that ought to attract some kind of penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              It depends on reasons - if it's greed, then it's very wrong - you don't keep your word. And if it's much worse, like in this case - accepting contract in bad faith expecting to cancel it - that ought to attract some kind of penalties.
              i am with the mustachioed couchless one here

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Nah. If they don't want me to give notice, don't put it in the contract. If they do, and something better comes along, I might use it. I'm a contractor, not a charity worker.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  I'm a contractor, not a charity worker.
                  Charity workers don't charge for their services, this means no contract in place so no laws apply really - to be a contractor or any proper business you need to learn to be reliable, someone who will fulfil contract if you accepted it - any notice given should incur (albeit on both sides) financial penalty.

Comment

Not really. I felt strong armed into this one so made sure I had a notice clause.

I had told the agency I wanted to meet the clients 1st and check out the commute(I had a ten minute question and answer session on the phone). I turned up for the 2nd interview and found that the agency had told everyone I was starting! Which was awkward all round.

Client is a nightmare. On the 3rd day they put me in charge of the team(they just assumed because I was more experienced than their project managers they would). They've told me they plan to fire the other contractor in the team(who now reports to me) because I am better, and once I took over the Project Management of the team to deal with their 'massive' backlog I discovered that actually there isn't one and there isn't enough work to go around(hence I only did 3 days at the end of last month as opposed to 8 days!)

Coupled with an aggresive blame culture where I've already had one argument, then balls. I'll decide by the end of the day whether I jump ship or stick it out.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Usual MF Pap ....
                      Coupled with an aggresive blame culture where I've already had one argument, then balls. I'll decide by the end of the day whether I jump ship or stick it out.
                      A real rough tough cage fighting type would stick it out.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X