• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

from dba to management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Assuming non sockie status...

The obvious route is leading other DBA's, heading technical teams on projects, business/systems analysis, bits of project management, technical management etc.

MBA? I've considered it several times in the last few years, but I doubt I'd gain a lot out of it as I'm already an experienced manager. I tend to think that good management isn't learned in a classroom or from books, you can't beat experience.
    are you suggesting to swith over from dba to managerial position ?
    my current plan is to go on contracting as a DBA for next 5 years (from 2012 to 2017), this gives me an opportunity to save some money for my future business,extend my network and learn new stuff.

I guess if I switch from technical position ( dba ) to a managerial position at this time, then I be losing the opportunity to do dba contacting ( something that I waited for years and years ... I consider it to be honeymoon of my dba career), and this will cost me too much in short term, not in long term thu, this is because in long term managerial position will lead me to CEO and.... ( bear in mind that SOME CEO's dont earn more than dba/contractor ).

are you suggesting to switch over now? if not when is the best time for me to switch over?

this is why im considering mba ( something that my current employer might be able to sponsor me while still a permanent dba) or working as a part time manager over the weekend in a diffrent industry to gain business knowledge, make me extra cash and make the future switch over smooth and less expensive for me ...
    Last edited by calacik; 1 January 2011, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
      this is why im considering mba ( something that my current employer might be able to sponsor me while still a permanent dba)
      Your employer will sponsor DBAs to do an MBA?

DBA must stand for something else.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I remember a guy with an MBA joining a company I was at 6-7 years ago. He became the COO (chief operating officer) whose job was effectively to do all of the top level donkey work... company operations, organisational management, financial reporting, run AGMs, whip the section managers, etc. Then once all of this was being taken care of, the CEO wiped the sweat from his brow, put his feet up, counted his money, and then simply performed arms length setting of direction, strategy and growth.

Seems like a smart move to me. When I'm a big shot CEO I'm going to hire me one of those MBA types to do all of my hard work for me

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          Your employer will sponsor DBAs to do an MBA?

DBA must stand for something else.
          Yes ( If I show commitment and willingness to become next IT manager then they will train and support me).
          some companies make you pay the money back if you leave the company within first 1-2 years of completion of your training ...
          Last edited by calacik; 1 January 2011, 18:03.

Comment

Doing an MBA part time will take several years, you will be at your current employer for 3-5 years just doing the MBA.

Comment

Working...
            X