• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PermieBobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst it's a worrying trend to hear about, whenever I meet and have to work with Bobs, my fears that it will happen to ALL of us are nearly always allayed because said Bob, although generally intelligent, educated and skillful in the specific role he is in, just doesn't have the same all round skills or business acumen to adequately replace a professional western contractor / employee

I find that most will lack

Initiative - sometimes to the point that you have to give documented instruction manuals for bloody every scenario
    Communication skills - OK they can speak comprehensible English but half the time Bob will sound like a a walking Babelfish
    Haste - never seems to be any sense of urgency, or atleast, ability to detect that it is needed

moorfield - how do your new Bob friends compare to my observations?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post

I find that most will lack

Initiative - sometimes to the point that you have to give documented instruction manuals for bloody every scenario
      Communication skills - OK they can speak comprehensible English but half the time Bob will sound like a a walking Babelfish
      Haste - never seems to be any sense of urgency, or atleast, ability to detect that it is needed
      WHS

You missed out the fact they don't understand you and instead of asking you to repeat yourself (like an Eastern European or other person who speaks English as another language does) they just nod.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You missed out the fact they don't understand you and instead of asking you to repeat yourself (like an Eastern European or other person who speaks English as another language does) they just nod.
        WHS.

Comment

Hiring cheap permies is just part of the business blame cycle. They'll outsource it to an onshore consultancy when the permies turn out to be crap. Then they'll hire contractors.

It's a winning situation in the end.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post

moorfield - how do your new Bob friends compare to my observations?
            Partly why I posted. The guys I work with are well educated, intelligent, articulate, proactive, resourceful people, very unlike the Bobs of old I know.

And all about 10 years younger than me.
            Last edited by moorfield; 20 December 2010, 14:56.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              Partly why I posted. The guys I work with are well educated, intelligent, articulate, proactive, resourceful people, very unlike the Bobs of old I know.

And all about 10 years younger than me.
              What sort of work permit are they on?

Comment

I like the way the British work...

"oi, fannny baws, you broke the feckin build"

Bob: "Is there a problem? I see no problem"

Me: "fusk, I'm fixing it right now, ps -ef, we are going to have this probelm sorted in 5 minutes"

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I like the way the British work...

"oi, fannny baws, you broke the feckin build"

Bob: "Is there a problem? I see no problem"

Me: "fusk, I'm fixing it right now, ps -ef, we are going to have this probelm sorted in 5 minutes"
                  I take the Gordon Brown™ approach: "It wisnae me, it restarted in America, no more build and bust"
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I'm noticing the opposite, that a number of off-shore peeps have been getting replaced with on-shore peeps, the off-shore guys just aren't cutting it
                    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      What sort of work permit are they on?
                      I had a call back from a role today which I had applied for a few weeks ago, whereby they had taken the bob option. It turned out that bobs visa wasn't a visa after all, and now the client are sponsoring his "somethingorother", but the agent said that other things tend to be also not in place when things like this happen and wanted to keep touch as he expects it to go tits up any time shortly.

Comment

Working...
                      X