• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This should raise the blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I think you're trying to treat human rights as a see-saw, where the victim's rights go up as the criminal's go down. Of course there's nothing that can be done now to help the family in this very sad time. Their girl has died. You could deport the killer or execute him, and it still wouldn't bring the girl back. What do you think would help?
    I'd start with allowing the dad, and all other adult male members of his extended family, to interview the tw@t with baseball bats for a couple of hours. After that, if he still fancied staying in this country, a spot of community service might suffice. All in the interests of fairness and justice you understand. Maybe you could turn up to champion his cause for him, just to make sure things don't get out of hand? I am sure your deliberations and reasoned arguments would soon calm their fury.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      I'd start with allowing the dad, and all other adult male members of his extended family, to interview the tw@t with baseball bats for a couple of hours.
      I'm sure you would. Fortunately this country has a justice system that goes beyond off-the-cuff retribution, the Book of Exodus and the film Mad Max III.

Comment

I'm sure you would. Fortunately this country has a justice system that goes beyond off-the-cuff retribution, the Book of Exodus and the film Mad Max III.
        That's a shame.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Yes, and plenty of bleeding heart handwringers like you to remind us that victims rights pale into insignificance when weighed against those of the perpetrators.
          You must be very proud to have played your small part in helping to foster this abortion.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

victims rights pale into insignificance when weighed against those of the perpetrators.
            There's that see-saw metaphor again.

Comment

There's that see-saw metaphor again.
              Justice is exemplified by scales. Do try and keep up.

Last edited by shaunbhoy; 16 December 2010, 22:50.

Comment

A good point, but those scales are more to do with balancing the claims in the case for the prosecution against those of the defence.

Comment

A good point, but those scales are more to do with balancing the claims in the case for the prosecution against those of the defence.
                  Only in your opinion. Most would say that they also signify an imperative that punishments might in some way fit the crimes. Particularly with regards to the severity of the punishment in some way being unequivocally being judged to be matched to the heinousness of the crime.

Comment

Justice is exemplified by scales. Do try and keep up.

Remind me, what's the sword for again?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      Remind me, what's the sword for again?
                      Nowadays it mainly gets used as a glorious paperweight, utilised by lawyers to ensure that their huge fees do not blow away.

Comment

Working...
                      X