• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minor things that really piss you off !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Invented words bearing the prefix "pre" - like Pre-order, Pre-warn, Pre-book. In every case the "pre" is redundant and the product of feebleness.
    Disagree, you can see where pre-warn has developed in the English language from the latin praemoneo. The correct usage may be forewarn, but you can see it's quite a distinct definition from warn. It's referring to a warning before the incident.

Example:
    I wouldn't go near that cliff it's liable to collapse (forewarn)
    Watch out, that cliff is collapsing (warn)
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      Disagree, you can see where pre-warn has developed in the English language from the latin praemoneo. The correct usage may be forewarn, but you can see it's quite a distinct definition from warn. It's referring to a warning before the incident.

Example:
      I wouldn't go near that cliff it's liable to collapse (forewarn)
      Watch out, that cliff is collapsing (warn)
      I agree except that in the first example above, you could perfectly adequately issue a warning - it doesn't have to be a "pre-warning". In fact in either case, a warning is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post

Cyclists who ... overtake on the inside
        Cyclists and motorcyclists are allowed to 'filter' in slow moving traffic, i.e. overtake on the inside.

ss. 88 and 151 of the highway code

Rules for motorcyclists (83-88) : Directgov - Travel and transport
        General advice (144-158) : Directgov - Travel and transport

If you happen to crunch one of them when they are doing so, chances are they'll be successful in suing you for any injury caused for your failure to observe the road prior to your manoeuvre.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          I agree except that in the first example above, you could perfectly adequately issue a warning - it doesn't have to be a "pre-warning". In fact in either case, a warning is fine.
          My example was trying to show you shouting at someone as the cliff he's standing on is collapsing, hence the warning as the incident occurs.

It's all semantics though and I would agree the correct usage is forewarn rather than prewarn.

Comment

Working...
          X