• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remembering login names and passwords; is it dementia?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I used to do similar, but on a Psion, and I used a power on password as well. The advantage of that was that no other bugger could read the thing due to the (not cheap) flash disks which wouldn't fit on anything else.
    I did the same and then the battery went flat, and the backup battery. Lost everything.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      I did the same and then the battery went flat, and the backup battery. Lost everything.
      I had an external disk which was safe. Of course I couldn't read it on the next Psion I got, because they'd changed the size of the things. So it was just as effectively lost. I think I threw it on the fire one night, out of disgust.

Did you ever manage to find a mains adaptor for the thing? I had one on order for at least 6 months, but it never materialised. I never saw one in the shops either.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        www.contractoruk .com
        (sockpuppet 3)
        zeitghost
        PA-sjf
        Zeity's password doesn't work

Wait a minute, is he real?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Am I alone in this?
          No.

I used to use a password-controlled PDA which was perfect for this use. Fast, cheap, light, 2 x AA batteries lasted months, proprietary encryption, no simple interface, could be backed up via a special cable to an encrypted file on a PC, and when that died asked for advice on here. For which I got abuse for not being able to remember passwords. <sigh>

That PDA had 229 small text files, one for each web site / service / function. So one text file would look like this:

BCS.txt
          Code:
          Richard Cranium  MBCS CITP
          British Computer Society
          Membership no. 990000666
          PIN: 1066
          Joined 01/04/2011
          Security question: Size of dick, answer: head
          Password: CumShot69
          Email account:
          - UserID: ab12
          - Password: piddlydiddly
          - Addresses: [email protected]  &  [email protected]
          - Forwards to: [email protected]
          Home email: [email protected]
          Work email: [email protected]
          Login: [email protected]
          So there are multiple entries per text file.

One is called passwords.txt and that has details of all the little web sites that one logs in to such as Misco, Travelodge, Graze, Hornby ( ), etc. That has another 2 x A4 pages of web site address, username, password.

I must have thousands of discrete bits of information like that.

My solution now?

I don't have one because the cheap, usable, QWERTY-keyboard PDA market seems to have disappeared.e
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
          X