• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Low-life tactics of means to end

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i think he's off

You'll probably find that half the people above you in the rankings are doing exactly what you were thinking of doing
    And to think, such an idea entered the mind of a Russian. AtW, Botvinnik will be turning in his grave. Don't let down a century of Russian tradition.

Best way to beat a machine/program, is to sacrifice pieces; they find it incredibly difficult to calculate strategic advantage, let alone a tempo advantage.

Comment

um

Chess grandmaster Micheal Adams has been comprehensively beaten 5 games
      to 1 by IBM supercomputer Hydra, proving once and for all (until the
      next high profile man vs. machine match-up) the dominance of silicon
      over puny carbon-based life forms. Hydra can analyse an enormous 200
      million moves per second, and plans its game up to 40 moves ahead, six
      more than IBM's Deep Blue. The next challenge, it is suggested, is a
      supercomputer able to compete at the game of Go. Currently even the best
      example to come out of Microsoft's Cambridge research facility is easily
      beaten by a competent human player.

Comment

er

Michael Adams

Comment

Re: um

Yes, yes, yes; I've posted my thoughts on this issue before, when Franco stated that Deep Blue II beat Kasparov.

Michael Adams has never been the greatest player in the world, so beating him proves nothing.
          Machines don't really play chess; they access an enormous database of human games and select the best move based on historical outcome. If you play Fischer Randomised Chess, machines are very weak. Machines play tactically, not strategically.
          Cars can travel faster than man, but does this mean they are better athletes than the Olympians?

Comment

i thought they

used AI algorithms, developed in languages like prolog? are you saying they are more a rules/data based expert system with a modicum of heuristics thrown in for good luck? if so, no wonder everybody could beat my 1987 attempt in prolog.

Comment

Re: i thought they

Alexey,

you sad little man !

Milan.

Comment

Re: i thought they

are you saying they are more a rules/data based expert system with a modicum of heuristics thrown in for good luck
                Pretty much. Deep Blue II beat Kasaparov a couple of years back, which everyone always refers to. But the important thing to remember is that Kasparov lost interest in the match after game 2.
                Every so often they play a machine in a tournament. Usually the players treat the game as a curiosity, so results against humans don't really reflect the true reality of ability.

Offer a machine a sacrifice and it will nearly always throw them.

Comment

Offer a machine a sacrifice and it will nearly always throw

huh! you didn't have to do that with my program. all you had to do was make a move. that usually threw it quite well.

Comment

Re: Offer a machine a sacrifice and it will nearly always th

you didn't have to do that with my program. all you had to do was make a move. that usually threw it quite well.
                    SP, get the program to search a database of grandmaster games and build a 'possible moves' tree from the winning lines it finds.
                    For example, what is the best response for white against the poisoned pawn variant of the Scillian Najdorf. Build the line based on successful outcomes.

Comment

but [shurely] if it is

just a search against a database on the best option from the current position, you are likely to paint yourself into an indefensible corner somewhere down the line, bearing in mind that your opponent will be operating with a different strategy/gameplan?

Comment

Working...
                      X