• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do any of you lot glorify terrorism?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hyperD
    Bonfire night is a classic example - come November this year, what's the betting that the police will be out ensuring little Jimmy is cautioned for glorifying "terrorism" while Murdoch churns out the vitriolic propaganda.
    A few loony councils have thought of that one already, some on the inevitable health'n'safety grounds; but I'm sure I read last year that one council wanted the celebrations toned down or preferably abolished as they might encourage anti-catholic prejudice!

P.S. I must say your .sig isn't very edifying, to put it mildly, but then maybe you don't think much of mine either. Reminds me, maybe it's time to replace that Woody Allen quip.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      I'm not sure. The House of Lords cut it out of the Terrorism Bill, for various reasons but not least because it is too difficult to define, but Labour have voted to put it back in. So it will become illegal.

The Prime Minister stated today that juries will have no trouble with this law. Proper lawyers beg to differ.

So what is the definition of glorifying terrorism?

Can CUK contributors be prosecuted for sympathising with the Palestinians, the Irish who celebrate the Easter Rising, animal rights movements, or Iraqis who use violence to oppose the allied occupation of their country?
      If it prevents carol singers and trick or treaters then I'm all for it.

Surely we already have the laws but not the will to use them. We can do someone for incitement to commit murder. Or incitement to racial hatred.

Comment

So what is the definition of glorifying terrorism?

Can CUK contributors be prosecuted for sympathising with the Palestinians, the Irish who celebrate the Easter Rising, animal rights movements, or Iraqis who use violence to oppose the allied occupation of their country?
        Then the old bill will have to prosecute a member of Tony Blair's own cabinet, one Peter Hain, for glorifying the ANC! I can not wait for someone to bring that up in their defence!

Mind you, Hain would get off because he is a complete idiot, and cannot be held responsible for his own actions. Perfect Labour cabinet material then!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
          A few loony councils have thought of that one already, some on the inevitable health'n'safety grounds; but I'm sure I read last year that one council wanted the celebrations toned down or preferably abolished as they might encourage anti-catholic prejudice!
          I think that was in Sussex but not as looney as you think, I believe they carry an effigy of the pope or something else representing the catholic church and burn it at the bonfire. Not much different to militant protestants in NI. They were not banned from normal bonfire night celebrations.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
            P.S. I must say your .sig isn't very edifying, to put it mildly, but then maybe you don't think much of mine either. Reminds me, maybe it's time to replace that Woody Allen quip.
            LOL! I still like your Feldman avatar though! (I plagurised the sig from another BB - it's a bit purile so I guess I'll change it as well in due course)
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Do any of you lot glorify terrorism
              Umm, well being a Celtic fan, it's hard to avoid occasionally singing the odd IRA song (Not a group I've ever condoned btw) after a few beers, mainly cause they're bloody good tunes and sound great in a 60,000+ chorus ...

Like to see the old bill arrest that many people in one go ...
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
                If it prevents carol singers and trick or treaters then I'm all for it.

Surely we already have the laws but not the will to use them. We can do someone for incitement to commit murder. Or incitement to racial hatred.

The thing about Trick or treaters is that terrorists use terror to promote political change and trick or treaters use it to extort (a treat).

Mind you hollywood seems to be a bit lost with the distinction. They described Hans Gruber (Die Hard) as a terrorist when all he was doing was robbing the place.

Comment

I voted Labour once. Is that glorifying terrorism

Only Joking I would rather pull my toe nails out with a pair of pliers than vote for The Lie.
                  Veni, Vidi, Bibi

Comment

Originally posted by Commscnut
                    Only Joking I would rather pull my toe nails out with a pair of pliers than vote for The Lie.
                    I'm sure that New Lie can oblige you.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman
                      How have they won? Do they have a united Ireland?

If they get one if will be in thirty years when the effects of the differing birthrates shows at referendum time. By that time all those lives cut will look like they were wasted in vain.
                      In thirty years the IRA will probably be side by side with English and other European separatists fighting for independence from the EU. Several years ago I discussed this in a forum with several Irish guys with republican leanings, and they more or less agreed that the EU was a case of out of the frying pan (as they saw it) into the fire.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X