• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is comms so f***ing hard?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever consider that you aren't very technically proficient? after all there are billions of devices connected to each other over the world. I have never had any problems getting devices to connect using compatible communication protocols

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Windows ME? Is this post from 9 years ago?
      Was just thinking the same
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        Windows ME? Is this post from 9 years ago?

I frequently get this reaction. I was, and I remain, the only person on the planet that likes Windows ME. I have never really had much trouble with it.

The main desktop PCs Mrs RC and I have are 2nd hand, top-of-the-range-at-the-time XP machines but with Windows ME installed - it flies!

The only problem is the lack of Windows resources - remember that problem? You can only have so many applications open at a time. For example, Firefox with some add-ons and 60 tabs open, Word, Excel, SETI@Home and one session of OpenOffice.org and that's about your lot. Before you can run something else, you must choose what to shut down.

Oh, and we have never had any anti-virus software nor any firewall running on either Windows ME machine and neither has ever had an infection.

But I was sad when the server finally died this past year. That was running Windows 98SE and was rock solid.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
          I have never had any problems getting devices to connect using compatible communication protocols
          I'm not talking about Lego and Sticklebricks, little boy.

Are you allowed up late because there's no school tomorrow?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
            Did you ever consider that you aren't very technically proficient? after all there are billions of devices connected to each other over the world. I have never had any problems getting devices to connect using compatible communication protocols

HTH
            Nah it's got nothing to do with technical proficiency this is Ubuntu...

It's a ****
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

It's a ****
              If you're not technically proficient
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Is it any wonder PC World does so well.

Mr Joe Bloggs feels like this, whether it is the case or not, and PCW re-assures him all will be OK while quietly emptying his wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  I was, and I remain, the only person on the planet that likes Windows ME. I have never really had much trouble with it.
                  Except for the networking???
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Now it's Ubuntu "the operating system for the rest of us". Trying to set up directory shares and printer shares between it and XP and Windows ME has been driving me absolutely mad for the past two f***ing weeks. Ubuntu is sold on the concept it is easy - is it f**k. Setting up printers in Ubuntu is the same baby-stamping abortion of pain as it has always been in Unix. And you can shove Samba back up the Devil's arse where it came from.
                    This reminded me that I hadn't installed my new printer on my main (Ubuntu) desktop. Just sorted that problem - it was remarkably easy. And I've never installed a printer on Ubuntu before.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

It's a ****
                      WHS - I watched a Unix expert setting up a network not long ago, and even he was struggling a bit, dipping in and out of all kinds of fiddly little text files.

When will semi-autistic Unix geeks learn that normal people don't have photographic memories to remember hordes of fussy command line options and config file names?!

What it actually needs is a thick developer, with a poor short-term memory, to design a graphical interface - Nobody with an IQ over 100, or who can remember more than three or four digits at a time, should be allowed near it!
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X