• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student Demo - Really don't care about your poxy Geography degree

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kandr View Post
    I think they have the right to demonstrate.
    So do I, but the 's don't have a right to smash the place up and abuse the police trying to keep order. We're way too soft in this country, we should break out the water cannons (a great deterrent in this weather) the minute they start defacing/smashing/burning stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
      So do I, but the 's don't have a right to smash the place up and abuse the police trying to keep order. We're way too soft in this country, we should break out the water cannons (a great deterrent in this weather) the minute they start defacing/smashing/burning stuff.
      The government and police are probably tulipting it, in-case of another Ian Tomlinson.

Comment

Why can they not earn the money for their education?

I cut grass in the cemetery for 3 years in a row during the summer. Not one of those sit on jobs either. I pushed that mower 20 miles a day (seriously) and earned up to the basic rate (around 5K at the time), which paid for my fees and a few months of my education.

These days they expect to go off trekking for the summer spending money they don't have, and they honestly feel like they deserve it.

Delusions of grander and then some.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          Ask grads from the US about the level of fees in the UK and they will laugh; and that is for an inferior product.

Make 'em pay an economic rate for their education up front and no grad taxes etc.

HAB in "I'm alright Jack; the state paid for my degree in the 70's/80's" mode.
          The problem is simply that too many people go to university to study degrees that are not worthwhile. Solve that problem, and then degrees could be state funded, as they should be. If the education is worthwhile, it makes sense for the state to pay - having a better educated population benefits everyone.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
            The problem is simply that too many people go to university to study degrees that are not worthwhile. Solve that problem, and then degrees could be state funded, as they should be. If the education is worthwhile, it makes sense for the state to pay - having a better educated population benefits everyone.

You know for a moment it sounds like your saying universities put business before education.

Honestly the state of this country, analogous perhaps to a used piece of toilet paper surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Why can they not earn the money for their education?

I cut grass in the cemetery for 3 years in a row during the summer. Not one of those sit on jobs either. I pushed that mower 20 miles a day (seriously) and earned up to the basic rate (around 5K at the time), which paid for my fees and a few months of my education.

These days they expect to go off trekking for the summer spending money they don't have, and they honestly feel like they deserve it.

Delusions of grander and then some.
              Ah! Ah! See. Ah Ah! Another good point.

Who are you and what have you done with Scooter?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Are the police being too nice? Nelson's Column defaced. Masked Geography students.

Is this the quiet middle class revolt. I remember students taking place in the poll tax riots in the late 80's. I thought those around me were ******* then as well.

You don't get something for nothing. The days of being a pathetic lech and drain on society are over. Get used to it, get a work ethic, get a job!

Student Nelson's Column protest | The Sun |News

I know where the CUK Chrimbo holiday break should be....
                Good on 'em I say. A bit of civil unrest every now and then serves to remind the politicians that they work for the people of this country and not a few greedy corporations and fat cat capitalists. A bit of spray paint on a monument and a few broken windows is a small price to pay.

I am proud to have chucked a few rocks around during the poll tax riots. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                  A bit of spray paint on a monument and a few broken windows is a small price to pay.
                  Not forgetting the policeman with a broken arm and of course the policeman who almost had a fire extinguisher embedded in his head. Still "a small price to pay".
                  I am proud to have chucked a few rocks around during the poll tax riots.
                  I bet your parents are immensely proud of your achievements too.

Comment

I see that Vince Cable, having helped create this plan originally, is now considering abstaining from voting for his own plan.
                    of the first degree (and he didn't have to pay for it!)
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Good on 'em I say. A bit of civil unrest every now and then serves to remind the politicians that they work for the people of this country and not a few greedy corporations and fat cat capitalists. A bit of spray paint on a monument and a few broken windows is a small price to pay.

I am proud to have chucked a few rocks around during the poll tax riots. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself.
                      I remember working in the City 8/9 years back when a G8 demo kicked off. I was working for one of the Bank Treasuries.

Brokers(male and female) photocopying £50 notes and chucking them at the demonstrators. All of a sudden a group of demonstrators broke past security on the ground floor and legged it up the stairs. They got one floor before a group of Stock Brokers went down and gave them a right good kicking.

Welcome to the English Defense league in all it's banking glory.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X