• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has the financial shenanigans of the past two years changed your mind about the Euro?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    But I stand to be corrected. Does anyone think the euro is a good idea but doesn't want the UK in it?
    I think the case for a single currency for the mainland European EU countries is a much stronger one than it is for the UK, Ireland and Greece, both politically and economically, especially now the border controls are gone. It's a no brainer really.

But I think we would on the whole be better off being part of it, than out of it, but it's certainly not black and white. And a lot of the arguments against are dubious, either based on prejudice: referencing WW2 and talking of "The Germans" as if they're a hive mind of evil intent, or just plain nostalgic: " However that's partly just because I like having our own currency, just as I like red telephone boxes and Yorkshire pudding. "
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I think the case for a single currency for the mainland European EU countries is a much stronger one than it is for the UK, Ireland and Greece, both politically and economically, especially now the border controls are gone. It's a no brainer really.

But I think we would on the whole be better off being part of it, than out of it, but it's certainly not black and white. And a lot of the arguments against are dubious, either based on prejudice: referencing WW2 and talking of "The Germans" as if they're a hive mind of evil intent, or just plain nostalgic: " However that's partly just because I like having our own currency, just as I like red telephone boxes and Yorkshire pudding. "
      I can't see any advantages for the UK. Simply from an economic perspective.

Ultimately the EU will have to harmonise a lot more laws and taxes to make it work, but they'll still have economic disparities between regions. Even the UK, with it's own currency and almost identical laws throughout the land, has problems of disparity between the North and South.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        just as I like red telephone boxes and Yorkshire pudding. "
        I've seen more red telephone boxes in Berlin than I have here in the UK. Don't ask. I've no idea how they got there.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I've seen more red telephone boxes in Berlin than I have here in the UK. Don't ask. I've no idea how they got there.
          What, proper British ones?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Me too, but in Stuttgart.

Do you think this is a cunning plan of some sort?

Edit: Yes, proper British ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Me too, but in Stuttgart.

Do you think this is a cunning plan of some sort?

Edit: Yes, proper British ones.
              You might be on to something. Part of an elaborate invasion plan, using devious camouflage techniques. Despite winning several World Cups, they're still seeking revenge for the last two scraps...
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                You might be on to something. Part of an elaborate invasion plan, using devious camouflage techniques. Despite winning several World Cups, they're still seeking revenge for the last two scraps...
                Coming ashore from submersibles disguised in red telephone boxes. Hmm. It might just work!

Comment

It's a new Dalek design.

Comment

They've got some in Gibraltar too, and the tourists are all over them.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      They've got some in Gibraltar too, and the tourists are all over them.
                      Does that mean we're surrounded?

Comment

Working...
                      X