• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long do you think the current UK economic and employment downturn will last for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I think it may possibly have been a joke.

go up - woooof

aww fergerrit

I know, was just saying, like.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      That's where we were heading.
      Nothing printing presses can't solve - soon they'll revive the Fleet Street...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Debt is at critical point when you have to borrow again in order to pay off lenders - this has been happening in the West for a long time now, so the mountain is so large that interest payments alone (at current artificially depressed rates) are massive: £73 bln per year predicted for 2014/15. That's over £1000 for each person in the UK including children and elder, or £3.5k per household per year interest payments only.

That's about the amount VAT raises I think, so in order to pay just for those interest payments VAT would have go go up to 35-40%.

Yes, the debt is THAT massive.
        Explaining counterintuitive economic concepts to AtW (and one or two others round here) is like trying to teach a chimp quantum field theory.

Let me put it another way. This debt helps shield us, the general public, from the worst effects of Government and EU interference and gives more leeway for private enterprise to step in and achieve things much more efficiently than meddling Governments ever could. Their impotence, trapped behind their wall of national debt, is our freedom. Can't you see that?

National debt is NOT LIKE private debt, as those pathetic Daily Wailish "£1000 per person" comparisons would suggest. It'll never need paying off and while it persists (as it has for the last two centuries at least) we can sleep more soundly knowing that tyranny is far less likely.

P.S. Having lived in Russia, you of all people Alexie should understand that debts afflicting the USSR and other communist countries led to more freedom.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Explaining counterintuitive economic concepts to AtW (and one or two others round here) is like trying to teach a chimp quantum field theory.

Let me put it another way. This debt helps shield us, the general public, from the worst effects of Government and EU interference and gives more leeway for private enterprise to step in and achieve things much more efficiently than meddling Governments ever could. Their impotence, trapped behind their wall of national debt, is our freedom. Can't you see that?

National debt is NOT LIKE private debt, as those pathetic Daily Wailish "£1000 per person" comparisons would suggest. It'll never need paying off and while it persists (as it has for the last two centuries at least) we can sleep more soundly knowing that tyranny is far less likely.

P.S. Having lived in Russia, you of all people Alexie should understand that debts afflicting the USSR and other communist countries led to more freedom.
          You are using archaic economic theroms of a few dcades ago to justify the present.

I'm afraid things have moved on since the 1960's and the West is no longer the dominant force that it was.

Comment

So taxpayers don't have to make those interest payments then, £50 billion a year and rising?

I think you are missing the point completely, that if the debt keeps rising as it is, we will one day be paying more in interest than we can affiord to spend on public services.

But if that's OK I think someone should tell Ireland and Greece to chill out a bit!

Comment

National debt is NOT LIKE private debt, as those pathetic Daily Wailish "£1000 per person" comparisons would suggest.
              It is indeed nothing like private debt which is financed by the company, it's lenders and ultimately shareholders.

With public debt everyone finances - even the poor as they'd have to be paying extra VAT in a month time.

Effectively Brown turned national debt into new deferred taxation.

Putin's Russia repaid a lot of Govt debt and now Russia has got very low debt/GDP ratio, however it is much less free now than it was 20 years ago when it had a lot of debts.

Comment

I must confess that I always treated my company finances the same way that I treated my domestic finances, ie keep income high, costs low and cash flow secure.
                I always looked at the National finances in the same way. I never understood why some of these concepts you are discussing would alter that

I must be missing sommat

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

So taxpayers don't have to make those interest payments then, £50 billion a year and rising?

.. if the debt keeps rising as it is, we will one day be paying more in interest than we can affiord to spend on public services.
                  Of course that's true, and I agree it isn't ideal. But the point is we are increasingly paying for busibody politicians and bureaucrats to do nothing, because they have less and less spare cash for any of their pet projects (especially EU aggrandizement). Also, public services can be done much more efficiently by private enterprise.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by moder8or View Post
                    The downturn will end when the country is viable. In other words when we export more than we import and have a surplus GDP
                    So the world economy will be viable only when every country exports more than it imports?
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X