• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long do you think the current UK economic and employment downturn will last for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
    In turn the £ dives and inflation takes off.
    Unfortunately it's much worse than that - previously printing money would result in currency going down, however those clowns thought they found perfect solution - both USA, EU (UK) will print money, so in theory currencies would be more or less ok against each other, perfect solution right?

Wrong.

The end result is that prices of real stuff (food, oil, gold) goes up so everyone is shafted even though relatively currencies are not that different against each other.

This leads to outflow of wealth from the west to other countries - that's why you don't see many Western people buying big football clubs, and when they do they just use debt tricks to effectively buy it for free

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      Yup, I've still got my own teeth as well though you old fart.
      i still have all my teeth and my hair you greenie.

i keep them in a box under the bed

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        QE was used for 2 things:
        1) purchase tulip assets at overinflated prices from banks to prevent them marking them down to real value and going bust
        2) purchase Govt bonds/gilts because China no longer wishes to do so - banks used to do that so that they create illusion of demand but then they resell those bonds back to BoE/etc.

What happens with this money banks got? They put them into commodities markets - that's why oil, gold, food etc keep going up, that's where all the printed money end up - all this will import inflation back into countries big time, where as banks will pocket hefty profits.

HTH
        Is it already too late to protect savings from (price) inflation? E.g. the places that would normally be refuges (gold, property, etc) being in bubbles of their own before inflation appears in official figures, the damage already having been done to savings with now nowhere to go?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Is it already too late to protect savings from (price) inflation? E.g. the places that would normally be refuges (gold, property, etc) already being in bubbles of their own before inflation appears in official figures, the damage has already having been done to savings with now nowhere to go?
          The only thing to do, imo, is to spend.

I stopped saving about a year ago and have started churning stuff as frequently as is possible.
          vehicle, PC - any big ticket item.

spend on the house, new fences, drive, etc etc

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I stopped saving about a year ago and have started churning stuff as frequently as is possible.

Beans by the pallet load. Food presumably won't be getting any cheaper. Heck, it seems to get more expensive each shopping trip.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Beans by the pallet load. Food presumably won't be getting any cheaper. Heck, it seems to get more expensive each shopping trip.
              big ticket items

get that new shower put in.

or

have a big fck-off holiday every six months.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by muser View Post
                Hello,

I am interested to read what your views are.

Cheers.
                It will go on several years, followed by a politically engineered pre-election boom to secure a Tory win in 2015.

HTH

Comment

Not convinced about stuff that depreciates, but if you might need to put a new roof or do any other major repairs on the house in say the next 5 years, now is the time to do it before prices go up.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

big ticket items

get that new shower put in.

or

have a big fck-off holiday every six months.
                    Quote from someone who got hammered by the taxman many years ago:

"The taxman can take all your money, but he can't take your memories."
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                      It will go on several years, followed by a politically engineered pre-election boom to secure a Tory win in 2015.

HTH
                      I'm sure that's the plan, but remember we're talking about politicians here.

If there's an option to screw up, the beloved leaders will find a way..
                      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X