• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outrage over £30m torture hush money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Still know more about the law than you and still earn more than you. Suppose that is what happens when a Govan copper breeds.
    Honestly, you sound like a ned, boasting about income is very chavy.

I do all right but never boast. Suppose you got that from your ned Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
      Speaking if which, has anybody heard from HAB recently?
      He's helping MI6 with their "enquiries"...

Comment

What did your dad do?

A manger in a fuel dump?

Hardly middle class, ehh?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Honestly, you sound like a ned, boasting about income is very chavy.
          I'm not boasting about income, I'm stating I earn far more than you with your three degrees. You keep on about my lack of degrees, I keep pointing out the difference in disposable income.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Oh, I think I see what you mean. Evidence HMG would need to provide in court might expose our 'don't ask' position on torture, an illegal act or necessitate that people lie under oath about what they knew. This would be over and above what the tortured suspects know or might say about proceedings. Messy.

But the fact that they don't want this coming out also reinforces the view that what occurred was illegal, which to be honest I thought was clear cut under UK law (even if it is still practised covertly) and under the Geneva convention.
          I think our policy on "don't ask" is in the public sphere anyway. I think they're more concerned about identifying how they go about gathering intelligence both here in the UK and abroad. Any information that terrorists can obtain on how to evade surveillance is bad.

I'm not arguing whether or not what occurred was illegal, I'm simply arguing whether there is enough of a smoking gun to tie HMG in with what was happening. There will also be an element of political sensitivity about it as well.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Yet you never argue against your dad being a ned.

Comment

I think they're more concerned about identifying how they go about gathering intelligence both here in the UK and abroad.
              You are spot on about this - they don't want courts to know that torture was used to gather intelligence.

People settle for 3 reasons:

1) they don't have resources to last long term legal battle
              2) they are bribed to withdraw otherwise rightful claim
              3) they are guilty and prefer to pay off rather than to lose in court (and go to jail)

IMHO, it is shocking that criminal cases can be settled for money - it is not in public's interest to allow responsible Govt figures to get away with what looks to be pretty serious crimes.

Comment

I'm not boasting about income, I'm stating I earn far more than you with your three degrees. You keep on about my lack of degrees, I keep pointing out the difference in disposable income.
                Mate, I seriously doubt you earn more than me on a day to day income. I am an architect with the IBs.

Comment

Yet you never argue against your dad being a ned.
                  Why should I, the fact that you attack my family just shows that I get to you. I wouldn't lower myself to your level.
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Mate, I seriously doubt you earn more than me on a day to day income. I am an architect with the IBs.
                    You're not my mate and I'm not telling you what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      IMHO, it is shocking that criminal cases can be settled for money - it is not in public's interest to allow responsible Govt figures to get away with what looks to be pretty serious crimes.
                      I agree, it would be a price worth paying to divulge some probably useless intelligence information to see Blair and Milliband stand trial.

Comment

Working...
                      X