• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BobAid - why are we sending aid to BobLand?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
    I know of people who have never worked in their lives.

No incentive to work. Why work when the benefits come rolling in.
    Why is that whenever a tv doc shows politicians trying to survive on the dole, they never make the week'? Yes, there are some rum characters who sign on. I just hope I never have to work or hire such people. I'd sooner they were getting wasted on gold label than mugging us in the street. Just an opinion: I'm sure I will be shouted down here by people so unhappy with their lives that they're envious of benefit claimants. I can think of few more depressing experiences than going to the job centre, but yes, maybe that's just me.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post

Somebody has to educate the thicko's. I try and do my bit.
      thickos thicko

(or was it deliberate, like chav's - apologies if so)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

Why is that whenever a tv doc shows politicians trying to survive on the dole, they never make the week'? Yes, there are some rum characters who sign on. I just hope I never have to work or hire such people. I'd sooner they were getting wasted on gold label than mugging us in the street. Just an opinion: I'm sure I will be shouted down here by people so unhappy with their lives that they're envious of benefit claimants. I can think of few more depressing experiences than going to the job centre, but yes, maybe that's just me.
        They don't need to visit the job centre if they're on incapacity benefit, which they can easily get onto by whining to their GP about back pain or stress.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          thickos thicko

(or was it deliberate, like chav's - apologies if so)
          Two clever by half

Comment

Why is that whenever a tv doc shows politicians trying to survive on the dole, they never make the week'?
            Because they don't do a bit of 'cash-in-hand' or deal a bit of 'puff', nobody on the rock 'n' roll survives on that alone.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Could never see the justification for making Foreign Aid packages exempt from the swingeing cuts that have affected almost every other area of Government Spending. It would have been near the top of sacrificial pots in my book.
              I agree completely. We're skint so international aid is utterly expendable.

Comment

I don't think anyone is envious of those lives.

I don't think benefits claimants lives are necessarily bad either.

I new one contractor who had a lot of benefit claimant mates all graduates.
                They used do a lot of outside sports activities and really enjoyed their lives.
                They just didn't want to work. You might classify them as the slacker generation.

I knew another benefit claimant. He used to claim some sort of incapacity thing that
                meant he got a car and living benefits. He was supposed to have some sort of muscle disability.
                However, people told me he used to do a lot of garden maintenance work and he was also a regular
                lothario. Doesn't sound too bad a life. He's left the UK though with a partner, maybe he's
                really working for a living now.

I could go on ...

I just think the benefits system is a bit crazy when for many it is better on it than working.

I also feel that the Western world cannot go on raking up debt like we have been doing. The rest of the
                world is not going to pay for us if we don't pay our own way.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
                  It's important to give money to struggling, poor countries.

You know, like Singapore.
                  In international terms £8.7million over 5 years is comparable to buying your mate a pint at the pub.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    In international terms £8.7million over 5 years is comparable to buying your mate a pint at the pub.
                    And how many hip replacements do you think?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      And how many hip replacements do you think?

if that money, which is less than 0.01% of the NHS budget, was spent on the NHS instead, I doubt there would have been any noticeable change in the service delivered.
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X