• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best family skiiing resort...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Courchevel 1650, there's a long and wide green area right at the foot that runs gently into to the resort and you still have lift access all the way across to Meribel and Val Thorens. Also good access to the altiport which I image would be high on your list of priorities.

It's more family friendly and low-key compared to its neighbour 1850 which AFAIK is still full of Russian gangsters and their hooker wives.
    I was about to suggest Courchevel - 1800 has more around it, you are straight on the ski-runs there, also check out 2000.

Comment

Flaine could be an outside choice.

Proper 'marmite' resort: diabolical brutalist architecture, virtually no nightlife... but it's car free and has great snow.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Flaine could be an outside choice.

Proper 'marmite' resort: diabolical brutalist architecture, virtually no nightlife... but it's car free and has great snow.
        I second that, bugger all nightlife but we didn't care as we were too knackered after some of the best skiing I've ever had.

We booked last minute at the end of a particularly poor season, the resort was desolate because of this yet we had a foot of powder every night 5 days straight, nothing beats a quiet piste and fresh snow, one afternoon we made fresh tracks all the way down to Morillon without seeing another soul, fantastic.

They were about to spend a lot of money updating the resort, this was 6 years ago so no idea how they got on?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I second that, bugger all nightlife but we didn't care as we were too knackered after some of the best skiing I've ever had.

We booked last minute at the end of a particularly poor season, the resort was desolate because of this yet we had a foot of powder every night 5 days straight, nothing beats a quiet piste and fresh snow, one afternoon we made fresh tracks all the way down to Morillon without seeing another soul, fantastic.

They were about to spend a lot of money updating the resort, this was 6 years ago so no idea how they got on?
          Don't care about nightlife. Isolation and fresh snow sounds brilliant. As the missus is not that keen on skiing, I'm also looking for somewhere that has a flat part of the mountain for walks or hikes. Does anywhere like that exist?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Don't care about nightlife. Isolation and fresh snow sounds brilliant. As the missus is not that keen on skiing, I'm also looking for somewhere that has a flat part of the mountain for walks or hikes. Does anywhere like that exist?
            South Lake Tahoe, a man of your means should surely be able to afford that.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Probably just jealous that you couldn't fit your lardarse on skis without rolling down the mountain like a blancmange.
              That is assuming you could afford it.
              Have skied on numerous occasions. Switzerland(twice), Austria(twice), Scotland, Bulgaria, Germany(twice), and even in Troodos Mountains in Cyprus. Being naturally athletic, it was just another activity that I would doubtless be able to best a weakling like you at. The best bit was that the Army paid for quite a few of those trips too.
              Maybe you should just show the nipper a few episodes of Ski Sunday rather than embarrass yourself by displaying your uncoordinated attempts in person? He still chuckles at the fact you need to get the missus to help you get your bike off the stand!!
              I seriously doubt you have the physique for downhill anyway.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                , it was just another activity that I would doubtless be able to best a weakling like you at. I seriously doubt you have the physique for downhill anyway.
                Not having met you i can't say what your skiing is like.
                Suffice to say you'd have to be very good to "best" me seeing as I've been doing it since I was a nipper.
                You keep eating your pies, patting your paunch and dreaming.
                There are plenty of other Walter Mittys on here to keep you company.

Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

There are plenty of other Walter Mittys on here to keep me company.
                  ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Not having met you i can't say what your skiing is like.
                    Suffice to say you'd have to be very good to "best" me seeing as I've been doing it since I was a nipper.
                    You keep eating your pies, patting your paunch and dreaming.
                    There are plenty of other Walter Mittys on here to keep you company.

Been doing it since a nipper and you don't even know what resort to head to? Right then. Unless you're just finding another reason to flounce on the web.
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                      Been doing it since a nipper and you don't even know what resort to head to? Right then. Unless you're just finding another reason to flounce on the web.
                      Are you another one of these cretins who jumps in feet first without reading a thread?
                      I have been to Meribel for approximately the last 9 times I've been skiing for the simple reason that I can get free accom. there. I like it well enough but its not family friendly, more for a single person.

HTH, but IDI.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X