• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great unwashed to do manual work for benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I don't agree about the point about 'losing jobs'.

There are holes in roads, dirty streets, maintenance that needs doing that gets put off because of cost/labour. By getting the likes of RC to do these we get cleaner streets, nicer places to live, the cost of maintence reduces and you still keep your basic workforce. It's a win win situation.
    Fail. Let's take London as an example. Currently Transport for London are responsible for dirty streets, pot-holes in the road, broken lamp-posts etc. They in turn contract the work out to private companies (3 sectors in London). Now if you feel that things aren't repaired quickly enough, then you can complain to Tfl. If however you want these jobs to be done by Waynes and Waynettas, then fine. The previous people who did the job are out of work. You save on the fees Tfl paid those private companies. But you have to pay huge amounts to people able and willing to supervise the Wayne-brigade. A shot in the dark maybe, but I rather suspect they'll do a far worse job, on the days they can be bothered to turn up. Oh, and by the way you've created a lot more lost jobs (ie more unemployment) in the private companies who Tfl previously contracted. Well done.
    No private company would tolerate a bunch of wasters coming along to help out on say the Northern Circular Road pot-holes. Apart from anything else all insurance would become invalid.
    Last edited by MrMark; 7 November 2010, 16:07.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      The previous people who did the job are out of work.
      Right now streets are anything but clean - whoever is contracted to do that job is not doing it THAT well, getting unemployed to deal with that on TOP of current contracts is one way to do it: assign one or more people per street and tell them that if there is a piece of rubbish there for more than 24 hours then they are fired and can find another job themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Right now streets are anything but clean - whoever is contracted to do that job is not doing it THAT well, getting unemployed to deal with that on TOP of current contracts is one way to do it: assign one or more people per street and tell them that if there is a piece of rubbish there for more than 24 hours then they are fired and can find another job themselves.
        If you're not happy with the way things are then put pressure on your local council and get them to sort out the contractors. Here in London (well my part) they seem to do a good job. Despite all this talk of "they can't get good workers in London" they seem to do so no problem here. Kudos to Westminster Council.
        But as I mentioned earlier you can't add "unemployed punishment squads" to the existing service provider. The contractor would tell the council or government to sling its hook - Apart from anything else it would violate insurance arrangements. It may seem appealing to get long-term doleites run over on the A12, but it ain't going to happen
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

If you're not happy with the way things are then put pressure on your local council and get them to sort out the contractors. Here in London (well my part) they seem to do a good job. Despite all this talk of "they can't get good workers in London" they seem to do so no problem here. Kudos to Westminster Council.
          But as I mentioned earlier you can't add "unemployed punishment squads" to the existing service provider. The contractor would tell the council or government to sling its hook - Apart from anything else it would violate insurance arrangements. It may seem appealing to get long-term doleites run over on the A12, but it ain't going to happen
          Don't talk bollocks. I've worked for TFL and a bigger bunch of overpaid ******* I have yet to have seen since.

The concept of those who don't wish to work being encorporated into the public good is a fantastic idea. In fact, I for one believe that those in prison should also contribute to the public good.
          I have believed for a long time that benefits should be used as a way back to work, or on top of menial work. Street cleaning shouldn't be the £15 per contracted hour we are led to believe. Those workers should be benefits + a time based value.

This comment above about 'put pressure on your local council' is possibly one of the dumbest quotes ever to have been typed into CUK.

The truth is, the British are lazy and deem the likes of cleaning beneath them, better to be on the dole and let an immigrant do it(who are used to those things) then get off your fat arse and participate.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Don't talk bollocks. I've worked for TFL and a bigger bunch of overpaid ******* I have yet to have seen since.

The concept of those who don't wish to work being encorporated into the public good is a fantastic idea. In fact, I for one believe that those in prison should also contribute to the public good.
            I have believed for a long time that benefits should be used as a way back to work, or on top of menial work. Street cleaning shouldn't be the £15 per contracted hour we are led to believe. Those workers should be benefits + a time based value.

This comment above about 'put pressure on your local council' is possibly one of the dumbest quotes ever to have been typed into CUK.

The truth is, the British are lazy and deem the likes of cleaning beneath them, better to be on the dole and let an immigrant do it(who are used to those things) then get off your fat arse and participate.
            Now I know you're a middle class fake. I've worked in factories and also done cleaning on a night-shift. You get plenty of Brits who do this work. Utter tosh that Brits don't want to work

As for your comment about Tfl - read the text. It's the contractors who do the work. And they have to meet legal requirements. No way would they, or could they allow work parties from the dole office to just come along and "help out". As I've mentioned already, all the insurance requirements would be void. It isn't going to happen.

Mind you, if you're so concerned that long term people on the dole should work, perhaps you'd consider hiring them in your alleged shop? Good luck with that...

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              I think this is the real thinking behind the scheme.

As you say, it's fine on paper but there has to be an infrastructure to administer it which itself has to be paid for. Unless there's a 'Kapo' scheme envisaged whereby some of the more trustworthy ones are paid a few quid more to keep tabs on their fellow drones?
              I can see a lucrative Plan B forming....

Comment

Now I know you're a middle class fake. I've worked in factories and also done cleaning on a night-shift. You get plenty of Brits who do this work. Utter tosh that Brits don't want to work

As for your comment about Tfl - read the text. It's the contractors who do the work. And they have to meet legal requirements. No way would they, or could they allow work parties from the dole office to just come along and "help out". As I've mentioned already, all the insurance requirements would be void. It isn't going to happen.

Mind you, if you're so concerned that long term people on the dole should work, perhaps you'd consider hiring them in your alleged shop? Good luck with that...
                Do you bollocks!

I've done office cleaning, bus cleaning, cleaning toilets, serving food, gardening, worked in factories. I pride myself on the fact that I'll do anything to get on.

At some holiday camps I visited this year, in all cases it was mostly Polish. It was a piece of piss to get seasonal work, but the only people willing to do it are foreigners. It's low paid, menial, and frankly the British don't do menial. They'd rather sign on.

For those who don't and are not willing to work frankly they should get nothing. Nothing at all. So the fact they get benefits is a bonus. Time to give back.

Oh and for the last part, I already employ six people, they pay tax as well to ensure that you and your workshy gutbucket family and friends can sign on.

Comment

Do you bollocks!

I've done office cleaning, bus cleaning, cleaning toilets, serving food, gardening, worked in factories. I pride myself on the fact that I'll do anything to get on.

At some holiday camps I visited this year, in all cases it was mostly Polish. It was a piece of piss to get seasonal work, but the only people willing to do it are foreigners. It's low paid, menial, and frankly the British don't do menial. They'd rather sign on.

For those who don't and are not willing to work frankly they should get nothing. Nothing at all. So the fact they get benefits is a bonus. Time to give back.

Oh and for the last part, I already employ six people, they pay tax as well to ensure that you and your workshy gutbucket family and friends can sign on.
                  Sorry, I don't believe a word of what you say. You claim to run a shop and do highly lucrative contract work at the same time. Yet every time I log on here you're spamming the place. Yet you're still jealous of those on the dole. Something doesn't add up... You're even getting hysterical, throwing insults and making assumptions about my alleged family, when you've never even met me. Fail

Comment

MM. You are a disgrace.

And while we're are talking DISGRACE.

I'd like it known for the record, that those 'contractors' who sign on 'between' contracts and post about it on this board are a ******* disgrace.

Even though it's a benefit you are entitiled, I would see it as a personal failure to do so and would not be boasting about to others.

Rant over.

Comment

MM. You are a disgrace.

And while we're are talking DISGRACE.

I'd like it known for the record, that those 'contractors' who sign on 'between' contracts and post about it on this board are a ******* disgrace.

Even though it's a benefit you are entitiled, I would see it as a personal failure to do so and would not be boasting about to others.

Rant over.

You are a complete loser. As I said, who can believe a word you spout? Can you tell me more assumptions about my family? You've never even met me. You live in a make-believe world.

Comment

Working...
                      X