• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Effective solution to tax evasion aka "avoidance"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    No No No!

The government should be clear about the rules. If this new coalition don't like the old rules they can change them for the future. If there is abiguity then that is their fault for not thinking it through and making the intention clear in the first place.
    Indeed and as in the case of BN66, they should not be allowed to fanny around for 7 years before finally deciding on an argument as to why a "scheme" breaks the rules.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      Oi, you naughty nun - repent your sins or it's ze killswitch!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Oi, you naughty nun - repent your sins or it's ze killswitch!!!
        This fembot is rebelling!
        Bazza gets caught

Comment

Indeed and as in the case of BN66, they should not be allowed to fanny around for 7 years before finally deciding on an argument as to why a "scheme" breaks the rules.
          They are not going to waste time and money trying to prove conclusively why every new scheme is illegal - that's very expensive, so what they do (very logically) is focus on schemes that became popular: as soon as tax loss reaches certain threshold they HAVE TO take some action.

It can take years to collect data on what is actual loss from particular scheme and it can take years for scheme to become popular, mainstream and that's when HMRC has to take action which may take some years also, that's how you arrive to 6-7 years.

Comment

This fembot is rebelling!
            It's fine by me so long as you look like Six

Comment

They are not going to waste time and money trying to prove conclusively why every new scheme is illegal - that's very expensive, so what they do (very logically) is focus on schemes that became popular: as soon as tax loss reaches certain threshold they HAVE TO take some action.

It can take years to collect data on what is actual loss from particular scheme and it can take years for scheme to become popular, mainstream and that's when HMRC has to take action which may take some years also, that's how you arrive to 6-7 years.
              Bollocks - when they have been given all details in the very beginning? Why should it take 7 years? And in any case 7 years for them to dream up of a reason (a not very good reason at that?!) is total bollocks.

Just because they don't like it - doesn't mean it's illegal. It means that whoever drafted the legislation in the beginning was an ejit.

She doesn't look like a nun.
              Bazza gets caught

Comment

Give a bachelor a flat and he thinks he's Hugh Hefner.

(Says RC speaking from experience.)
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Bollocks - when they have been given all details in the very beginning? Why should it take 7 years? And in any case 7 years for them to dream up of a reason (a not very good reason at that?!) is total bollocks.
                  No, it's not bollocks - they need at least few years to estimate tax loss from a scheme to decide if they want to focus very expensive resources to determine if it's illegal or not, then it can take few more years to actually put things in motion.

This lag is part of the system - partly due to its inefficiency, but partly due to creating uncertainty that would hopefully prevent in the future people from allowing their greed to take over their common sense.

What's bollock is having one man band Ltd who expects to pay feck all tax by using some obscure offshore arrangement.

She doesn't look like a nun.
                  She is just wearing her off-duty dress

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Give a bachelor a flat and he thinks he's Hugh Hefner.(Says RC speaking from experience.)

Larry Flynt

I hope I'll get that sniper before he gets me - pity UK laws mean that I'll have to use colourful language for that

Comment

No, it's not bollocks - they need at least few years to estimate tax loss from a scheme to decide if they want to focus very expensive resources to determine if it's illegal or not, then it can take few more years to actually put things in motion.

This lag is part of the system - partly due to its inefficiency, but partly due to creating uncertainty that would hopefully prevent in the future people from allowing their greed to take over their common sense.

What's bollock is having one man band Ltd who expects to pay feck all tax by using some obscure offshore arrangement.
                      Nope, I'm still not buying that it takes 7 years to close a loophole. How long does it take for a Civil Servant to draft some legislation?

I kinda feel like I'm pissing into the wind with this conversation

So shall we just agree to disagree? or we could just agree that I'm totally right!
                      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                      X