• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate consultancy roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    I was attempting to being humourous. Stop being so defensive!
    Ok that was mildly funny. You are on probation out of my ignore list.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
      Am I being the only one here who started to hate all consultant-based roles?

Problem is the request for consultants is increasing and the one for contractors is decreasing.

Anybody share the same hate? At the end you have the same insecurity as a contractor, the lack of team feeling and the salary of a permie.

Even worse when lots of travel is involved.
      All but two of the consultancy roles I have worked in have been working within a team of consultants.

My first consultant position was a staff one I was transferred to from another role. I was barely months out of uni and probably didn't know my anus from my olecranon. At the time I only wanted to be a team member, get some training and learn as much as possible on both the hard side and soft side of the telecom / IT profession. I was incredibly nervous to begin with, not confident I knwew enough to deal with people up to director level. I had more questions than answers and apparently that was a good thing.

I've been dropped in it many more times as a contractor than as a consultant, including abroad when there aren't colleagues around to help out. Middle management are worse to deal with than people at board level, so I'd take a similar consultancy role to my frst one over a contracting role, any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        Am I being the only one here who started to hate all consultant-based roles?

Problem is the request for consultants is increasing and the one for contractors is decreasing.

Anybody share the same hate? At the end you have the same insecurity as a contractor, the lack of team feeling and the salary of a permie.

Even worse when lots of travel is involved.
        The only issue with it is, that the client expects more blood out of a stone & you to hit the floor even faster than usual. Started yesterday on a consultancy role, I was out of the car and in to 6 straight meetings.

And now off for some more! Tatty bye!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
        X