• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do you spend for food in UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Francko
    Do I spend too much?

100 pounds a week for 2 people's food (eating out 1-2 times a week). I wouldn't touch even with a bargepole anything that has the "Economy" label written on it. How about you rich contractors? Do you eat baked beans like Milan and put aside all the money or just indulge yourself in luxury food?
    It seems rather a lot to me. Assuming 6 evening meals, 7 breakfasts and 2 lunches (weekend). You must eat a lot of meat. Or expensive fish. Maybe you shop at Waitrose.

I find frozen veg is pretty good, and organic is okay price too. It's sometimes better than fresh (frozen quickly rather than sitting in warehouses) and often has less food miles. And it keeps better too.

I love black beans and other pulses. Cheap too. Though I eat for pleasure not price.

I guess I'm a bit of a tight wad as I always go for the BOGOFs.

BTW Why is so much olive oil in this country tulipe. Even the expensive supermarket stuff seems tulipe. Well, not tulipe, but not worth buying instead of the basic extra virgin. I have to visit an Italian deli in London to get decent stuff. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
      You must eat a lot of meat. Or expensive fish. Maybe you shop at Waitrose.
      All 3. The 3rd because if you do the first 2, you might as well do them well.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
        All 3. The 3rd because if you do the first 2, you might as well do them well.
        Waitrose are good.

But the best place I found for fish, oddly enough, was Asda. It was cheap, and most importantly, fresh. Presumably cos the place was packed with chavs buying their cheap protein. I've never really liked fish from Sainsburys. Oh to live by the coast.

Comment

£50 per week that includes my lunches and my dinners.

My basket usually has the followin in it.

pizza
          lamb hotpot
          pasta bake
          curry, naan, bhajiis etc
          some fish or chicken oven meal

oh and not forgetting, 6 pack of sprite.

for lunch i mostly have sandwhiches, noodles and the obligatory can of sprite.

i really miss eating curries and noodles down at spitafields market though. that was awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
            oh and not forgetting, 6 pack of sprite.
            [...]
            So that's you????? How did it go with the skying experience???? Back in IT? Why?
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

El duder goes up to the checkout in Tesco with the following in his basket...

pizza
              lamb hotpot
              pasta bake
              curry, naan, bhajiis etc
              assortment of ready meals for one
              6 pack of sprite

The girl at the till looks at his purchases and says, "I bet you're single".

Our intrepid contractor sarcatically ripostes, "duuuh, how did you guess that?"

Our girl at the till looks at him and replies, "because you're a right ugly fcuker".

Comment

Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                  So that's you????? How did it go with the skying experience???? Back in IT? Why?
                  yep it is me. FW.

i take it you mean skiing instead of skying

it was ace, best experience of my life. back in IT cause there is no other way someone is going to pay me £250 a day to sit and do nothing but surf the internet for 6months of the year. oh and to save some cash for a bond on a home for my skis!

hopefully i can balance my time in the office with some teaching time on the slopes.

but all in all, my year out was truly amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
                    yep it is me. FW.

i take it you mean skiing instead of skying

it was ace, best experience of my life. back in IT to save some cash for a bond on a home, and hopefully i can balance my time in the office with some teaching time on the slopes.

but all in all, my year out was truly amazing.

What planet is this fuknuts on?

Comment

Originally posted by Daywalker
                      What planet is this fuknuts on?

I bet he's as crap at skiing as he is at IT. I can smell mediocrity a mile off.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X