• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Duty Free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Not to menion the fact that you are committing tax avoidance - which as we know is akin to benefit fraud nowadays

I think BAA earn more from rent from duty free shops than all their aircraft/airline revenues combined.
    Tax avoidance is the legal method reducing the amount of tax you pay. Nothing wrong with it, so stop making out it's something dodgy.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Tax avoidance is the legal method reducing the amount of tax you pay. Nothing wrong with it, so stop making out it's something dodgy.
      He isn't. What he is trying to do is to equate someone who chooses diesel or even electric car for grounds of using less fuel as VAT/duty tax avoider in the same way those chaps in BN66 thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        He isn't. What he is trying to do is to equate someone who chooses diesel or even electric car for grounds of using less fuel as VAT/duty tax avoider in the same way those chaps in BN66 thread.
        Sticks usually have two ends AtW. Why not occasionally try and get hold of the right one?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Sticks usually have two ends AtW. Why not occasionally try and get hold of the right one?
          After his last comment I now have an image of AtW as a giant moth, dressed in a straight jacket in a brightly lit padded room.

Ouch, run, ouch, run, ouch
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's not me

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              After his last comment I now have an image of AtW as a giant moth, dressed in a straight jacket in a brightly lit padded room.

Ouch, run, ouch, run, ouch
              I get that image after ALL his comments!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Absolutely - using an electric car would count as tax avoidance as well - if the reason why you bought it was that you didn't want to pay the 80%+ tax on fuel. Of course, you'll probably end up paying just as much for a new set of batteries after a few years, but that's s different discussion.

My point was that the LibDems in particular view tax avoidance as being akin to benefit fraud, while leaving it deliberately vague as to what they mean by tax avoidance. Just using the term itself - without qualification - includes behaviours that practically all of us do without batting an eyelid.

And the spin doctors have successfully made "tax avoidance" a very dirty word. Look at Question Time this week, where the Tory got heckled for "tax avoidance" - transferring shares into his wife's name. He claimed it was in preparation for becomming a minister and there were no tax savings - I wasn't entirely convinced, but so what. FFS show me a couple in this country that wouldn't have done the same thing - and would have gone out of their way to pay more tax than they legitimately needed to. I bet the questioner doesn't ask HMRC to take extra tax from his wages

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  Absolutely - using an electric car would count as tax avoidance as well - if the reason why you bought it was that you didn't want to pay the 80%+ tax on fuel.
                  But if you are a tree hugging hippy who bought this car to save environment then it's not tax avoidance?

Under your definition people who choose to buy stuff online are tax avoiders because they'll pay smaller prices and thus less VAT, hence everyone is "tax avoider" - this makes this term lose meaning which is exactly what you want people to think - they are "evil" tax avoiders just like piss takers in BN66 thread.

No, this is not the same - term "tax avoider", as much as you don't like the idea, applies to people who plan their tax affairs in such a way that they avoid tax (usually massively) by using accounting rules that most people won't know about - trusts, offshores etc.

Tory who transferred stuff to his wife in my view is a tax avoider for sure - he was not elected at the time so he could not have been certain he'd be a minister (I am sure it was not required for him to move to his wife all his property even if he became one), he did it clearly to avoid tax he'd pay otherwise due to tax changes around that date, now THAT's tax avoidance.

Comment

But if you are a tree hugging hippy who bought this car to save environment then it's not tax avoidance?

Under your definition people who choose to buy stuff online are tax avoiders because they'll pay smaller prices and thus less VAT, hence everyone is "tax avoider" - this makes this term lose meaning which is exactly what you want people to think - they are "evil" tax avoiders just like piss takers in BN66 thread.

No, this is not the same - term "tax avoider", as much as you don't like the idea, applies to people who plan their tax affairs in such a way that they avoid tax (usually massively) by using accounting rules that most people won't know about - trusts, offshores etc.

Tory who transferred stuff to his wife in my view is a tax avoider for sure - he was not elected at the time so he could not have been certain he'd be a minister (I am sure it was not required for him to move to his wife all his property even if he became one), he did it clearly to avoid tax he'd pay otherwise due to tax changes around that date, now THAT's tax avoidance.
                    Tax Avoidance is both legal and morally justifiable. Get over it FFS!

Comment

Tax Avoidance is both legal and morally justifiable. Get over it FFS!
                      It is not illegal, but it is certainly not morally justifiable.

Buying more fuel efficient car (diesel or electric) is morally justifiable however which is one of the reasons why it is not tax avoidance.

Now go help your wife clean the mess you left in the house!

Comment

Working...
                      X