• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What actually happens to people who'll lose benefits?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

It also makes people even more dependant on the state. It make people institutionalised by having all their behaviour decreed by self-righteous administrators of the voucher systems.
    WHS - I'm surprised MF could even contemplate vouchers, having had that C S Lewis "caring tyranny" quote as his sig a while back (if it was him - may have been someone else). Sadly, destitution is one of the prices of freedom.

If these vouchers were used, with anything like the level of control (no booze or fags etc) suggested, how long would it be before everyone was being controlled to the same extent when electronic money is used in ten or twenty years?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Ok, here is the deal – Welfare is supposed to exist as a safety net to prevent people suffering real hardship but it’s not for that at all. To maintain order in society, it has proven necessary to pay a significant number of feckless, incompetent and unfortunate people enough money to keep them comfortable enough to not bother the rest of the people who want to live productive lives.
      I can accept this requirement but £192bn/year ??? Sorry, this has just got out of hand. Some of this ‘section’ are going to have to be a bit less comfortable and anyone from this crew working should get a real benefit from doing so even if we have to sub them initially to get them ‘in the habit’ of getting up before J Kyle comes on.

Comment

Has nobody seen The Matrix? Lets just use them as batteries and do away with traditional power stations.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
          I'd be happy for some luxury items to be paid for out of the benefits system, again in the form of redeemable vouchers, such as swimming pools for children, or possibly even the adults.
          I'll go for a Swimming Pool voucher please, casa-Ravello could do with an addition.
          Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I thought of the idea of vouchers last month as well.

The problem I saw with it was going to be around the resale value of vouchers(a whole new Ebay area would appear), plus matters of security & forgery. The cost would be huge.
            Assuming they're paper vouchers. In this day and age you could do it with cards: a special debit card that could only be used in supermarkets for food (but not alcohol) wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

The argument is about dignity, and freedom, but perhaps it's not so bad if the long term unemployed (but not the people who find themselves temporarily out of work) should be subject to a bit of public shame.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Why do we blame the morons who dont work and scrounge off the state? When the real finger of blame should be pointing unambiguously at the politicos who created this scroungers paradise!

I certainly wouldn't blame a small child who ate too much chocolate and everywhere if I left it to its own devices in a sweetie shop.

For those who seem to advocate the return of workhouses etc. What next? Hang young children for stealing bread? Please gentlemen keep such commenttarderie to a minimum, the plight of those less fortunate than you is no laughing matter.

I agree that an electronic food voucher scheme should be in operation, people who are not working should not be spending money on cigarettes and booze etc.

Comment

Being serious for a minute, I think people who aren't willing to work should be made to join the army, on the front line. This way they will serve some purpose and also might pick up some character.

Another Idea is an ZFactor a reality show where each voted off guest is executed.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                  Being serious for a minute, I think people who aren't willing to work should be made to join the army, on the front line. This way they will serve some purpose and also might pick up some character.
                  They might also stick their hands up, run off to't Tallyban and tell them where all the useful soldiers are hiding in return for a fix of heroin. Or blow up buildings full of kids because they can't read the label on the map that says 'nursery school'.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    They might also stick their hands up, run off to't Tallyban and tell them where all the useful soldiers are hiding in return for a fix of heroin. Or blow up buildings full of kids because they can't read the label on the map that says 'nursery school'.
                    Thats junkist.

Comment

Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
                      the plight of those less fortunate than you is no laughing matter.
                      I'm sick of hearing about the less fortunate. How do I get to be less fortunate so I can start getting all these advantages they seem to get?
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X