• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gov Spending Review 20.10.2010

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Just seen a tweet saying "is we gonna hav riots like dey got in france cuz of the spending cuts?"

Someone's not very well educated...
    FTFY.

With regards to the riots, I really do hope so.

Comment

Just seen a tweet saying "is we gonna hav riots like dey got in france cuz of the spending cuts?"

So, when you find out your wife has maxed out all your credit cards and you take them off her, she stabs you.

Comment

Maybe this is the reason why the Tor.. er Coalition is increasing Education budget. The old teachers mortar boards, the cane, and elocution lessons could be coming back to the classrooms

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Yes, and? That's globalisation; it's the inevitable consequence of the invention of stuff like ships, aeroplanes and telecommunications. You can oppose this kind of deal, but don't pretend that this won't happen sometime anyway. Like it or not there will be immigration and we will face more competition to keep our place in the market. It's not fun, but it's part of doing business. Of course, the work could be moved to India instead.
          That was my point. I wasn't opposing the deal, I was observing the irony that, like the public sector employees mentioned in your post that I quoted from, most people in IT have not smelt the coffee and made other plans.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            That was my point. I wasn't opposing the deal, I was observing the irony that, like the public sector employees mentioned in your post that I quoted from, most people in IT have not smelt the coffee and made other plans.
            Oh OK, sorry for any misunderstanding. Most of the contractors I know, including myself have 'Plan Bs' worked out to a lesser or greater extent or have other skills that can be used to earn a living; however many permies that I meet seem to live in the imaginary world of a job for life and haven't even considered doing something else or learning another trade or profession.

I've always felt that the sum of big mortgage plus regular income minus the skills to do something else is a recipe for ending up in deep tulip.
            Last edited by Mich the Tester; 21 October 2010, 08:08.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
            X