• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sweden aims for oil-free economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded
    That's the suburb with all the soviet era apartment blocks. My commiserations.
    Obviously you have never been there Threaded. It is not a 'suburb'.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      If Sweden is such a great place why did only 3000 Eastern Europeans go there to work as opposed to 450,000 who came to the UK and Ireland?
      Because they know the people wont accept them - they will make it very, very hard for them.

In the UK anyone can just walk in and piss all over the native population.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
        Because they know the people wont accept them - they will make it very, very hard for them.

In the UK anyone can just walk in and piss all over the native population.
        looking at your avatar I can see what you mean
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

looking at your avatar I can see what you mean
          Lookin at yours - I can see that George Cole has had better days.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
            Lookin at yours - I can see that George Cole has had better days.
            Believe me he has
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If Sweden is such a great place why did only 3000 Eastern Europeans go there to work as opposed to 450,000 who came to the UK and Ireland?
              Perhaps Swedish is not as much a second language to as many Europeans as ours...

As I said before, if they can do it then good luck to them. Can't see many other countries setting such a goal and perhaps having a chance of making it.

The question is...if most of the west undertook such an approach, where would that leave the middle east...getting by selling Persian carpets, or carpet bombing us?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
                Hows the research into fusion power going ? anyone ?
                It's still about 40 years off before we get a commercial reactor. The next generation thermunuclear research centre, which will act as a demonstrator of the technology, is to be built in Cadarache in France. It was to have been in Japan, but France went into a big sulky huff until everyone changed their minds. From what I've read, the scientists are rather optimistic. I don't understand why they don't put even more resources into the research. It's supposed to be much cleaner than fission reactors, and unlike wind power, does not spoil the view of rich people with Highland holiday homes.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
                  Hows the research into fusion power going ? anyone ?
                  We can make the reaction happen, it just occurs very quickly, makes a big mess and nobody in the immediate vicinity is left alive to tell the tale... In fact, it's going like a bomb.

Comment

I don't know how many go there to work, but I've heard that there used to be quite a few cases of Balts and Poles going to Sweden to get in to prison, apparently the prison wages were fairly good in Sweden and with free food and lodgings they could save up quite a bit of money to bring home when they were released.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                      One of the ways that they achieve this is by building houses properly.

My week day residence is a constant 21 degrees when it's rarely been above zero each day, with almost no heating turned on.

My UK weekend retreat (!) is sometimes down to 18 degrees with the heating going full blast all the time (and leaking through the walls).

tim
                      Very true, one of the few things I miss from Sweden! Never been as cold indoors in Sweden as I have in the UK

Though, Sweden can manage it even easier than that, if they were willing to sacrifice some more rivers it could get enough energy from water power to power most of the country I believe.

Comment

Working...
                      X