• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trust funds - help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Chaps, please. Desist.

MF was trying to help. Rare occurence that it is.
    EO you are trying to do the right thing, and credit the posters in general with the sense to give a responsible answer (not always going to work).

Feel the love
    MF trying to help?

Methinks it was more along the lines of and
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      MF trying to help?

Methinks it was more along the lines of and
      I've only placed a few of my own threads and posts recently on where to invest money for kids. It's a very important decision.

Nothing worse than those who don't listen though.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

And a final point. And frankly I don't know why I'm ******* bothering.

If you are concerned that because of the amount (say 3k) is a 'life' changing amount that the parents or kids may abscond/waste. Effectively, you are the legal guardian if the money. A bond/fund etc will not transfer until they are (16/18 would need to check). By opening it yourself you hold it in trust until said time, therefore it cannot be usurped by others.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

If you are concerned that because of the amount (say 3k) is a 'life' changing amount that the parents or kids may abscond/waste. Effectively, you are the legal guardian if the money. A bond/fund etc will not transfer until they are (16/18 would need to check). By opening it yourself you hold it in trust until said time, therefore it cannot be usurped by others.
          I think you have been very helpful.

HTH
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Yes , but who holds the bond/fund/account ? (i.e. who is the trustee) the executor of the the will, or the childs parent/guardian.
            With the governments scheme, its the parent/guardian.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Sheesh. Why is this so difficult?

I think the Government's Child Trust fund is the most economical option. The money belongs to the child but they cannot spend it until they turn 18.

The Government scheme is not available though to children born before 1st September 2002.

If that is not an option then I think that you should see a solicitor who can draw up a trust deed. The trustees can be you, your missus, the executor of the will, anyone, but the solicitor can explain the legal implications of undertaking that role, I can't.

The executor of the will then transfers the cash / investments / doll collection / whatever to the trustees and they have to do with it what the trust deed says they must do.*

* I am not qualified to give this advice.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Yes , but who holds the bond/fund/account ? (i.e. who is the trustee) the executor of the the will, or the childs parent/guardian.
                With the governments scheme, its the parent/guardian.

I see your point with that as executor, sorry.

Sounds like the same problem I'd have with my sister. She wouldn't be able to not touch one of the kids monies.

There are plenty of free 1/2 hour legal consultations you can try. Heres one.

Guardian, How to Appoint, Setup a Childrens Trust Fund and Protect Your Family

and phone up the Yorkshire Bank to check the legal situation. If you can manage them in bonds then you can keep a direct eye on it and always ensure you get the best deals.

Comment

Working...
                X